Speedometer question

Garfield2010

Hi guys

My speedo is not working anymore. I have a CS300 Polar watch which can also serve as a speedo. Thing is that I dont have the original little magnet-thingy that goes on the wheel.

My question is wether my existing magnet-thingy from a normal speedo will also work or does Polar have a specific magnet-thingy that I need?

Lastly is it possible for this magnet-thingy to malfunction meaning that my original speedo actually still works perfectly and I just need to replace the magnet-thingy?

Thanks!

A magnet is a magnet. There is no electronics or anything fancy in it. Use whatever you can find. I used the Sigma ones with my Polar because it was the easiest to put on the spokes without tools.

What exactly is your speedo doing or not doing? Often the little contacts on the unit itself or the handlebar mount corrode and just need a little cleaning up. This normally shows up initally as jumps in speed.

Well it started not to pick up when I go above 40km/hour. Now it is just dead. I cleaned the connectors etc but no joy....

ride without a "speedometer", even better race without it. One less thing to clutter your concentration. Like why do you need to know how fast you are travelling?

get to know your bike and body without all the technogeekrap.

While you're at it why don't you also then put wagon wheels on your bike? Technology Bleh...

ride without a "speedometer", even better race without it. One less thing to clutter your concentration. Like why do you need to know how fast you are travelling?

That is why I always used to have cadence and HR on the display. I do not want to know how fast I'm going or how far I have gone/need to go.

Why ride without it?

These things provide so much more info than just speed, to not use one for monitoring progress (averages, cadence, climb, heart rate etc) is not wise imo.

If used properly, they provide valuable info.

Train with, race without.

You know how to find out if your going ok in a race? If you stay with the leaders. Easy. All the speedometers and HR meters and crap wont be able to do anything for you if you can't stay at the front.

Check the battery in the polar receiver (the thingy you mount on the fork close to the magnet thingy). And don't bother buying the "Polar" replacement battery. Just go to your nearest watch/camera shop. They sell the exact same battery for much less.

Edited by katz201

You know how to find out if your going ok in a race? If you stay with the leaders. Easy. All the speedometers and HR meters and crap wont be able to do anything for you if you can't stay at the front.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

technology takes the fun out of Suffering.

Personally I like to keep an eye on my average speed. In terms of the 94.7 coming up, I would like to compare my going with the info provided for a sub 3 hour race. At least then I have an indication of whether I am ahead or behind the 8-ball....

why do the pro's ride the major races with all the gadgets then ..

why do the pro's ride the major races with all the gadgets then ..

To download the data for analyses after the event. They know how not to be distracted by it during the race.

Well it started not to pick up when I go above 40km/hour. Now it is just dead. I cleaned the connectors etc but no joy....

I have the exact same model and had the exact same issue some time ago... Initally would lose spead reading at high speed. At first thought the bumps or whatever were increasing spacing between the sensor and the magnate, but no matter how much fiddling I did it would always recur - then stopped altogether. i was convinced it was the sensor battery - but turns out these should last for years and years. On advice of Polar themselves (midrand) I replaced the battery in the watch itself and that sorted it out!

Likely that is your issue (and let me guess - you have had watch with original battery for about 2 years...)