Rotors - What Suggestions?

Caerus

I will be finally getting my new 2012 Shimano XT Brake set this week :clap: The rotors that are included are centre lock and I need 6 Bolt. I know there are the Ice Tech rotors that you can get but they are pretty expensive, but they do recommend them for the new Shimano Brake sets.

I have the Alligator wind cutters on my other bike, which go with a SLY brake set. I'm not too keen on them as I find the calipers don't "grip" the rotors nicely because of the outside shape of the widcutter and thus results in the brakes shuddering.

So do I stick with the Alligator Brand but rather go with the Wavy rotor or the Pizza Cutter? Even willing to try the Shimano 6 Bolt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and especially from any folks running the 2012 XT brakes.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never used Shimano brakes, but when i changed from Alligator Windcutters to Original Hope Floating rotors it was noticeable. I'd say stay with original. Can't the supplier supply 6 bolt instead of CL?

I changed from the original Tektro disc to the Aligator Windcutter, the braking was OK but I found the disc warped easily. Went and bought a normal Shimano disc and its far better and that was just a bottom of the range disc (cost me about R220 for a 180 six bolt)

I've never used Shimano brakes, but when i changed from Alligator Windcutters to Original Hope Floating rotors it was noticeable. I'd say stay with original. Can't the supplier supply 6 bolt instead of CL?

+1 for Hope Floating Rotors...

I run 203mm Hope Saw Floating Rotors on my DH bike

post-10758-0-17508800-1319536820.jpg

(sorry about the bad quality of the pic)

Edited by patches

Ive only just realised they come in the set as CL, they have been sent already, so I will sell the Centre locks and get 6 bolt if need be. So running the HOPE rotors with Shimano should be OK? :unsure:

Edited by Caerus

I will be finally getting my new 2012 Shimano XT Brake set this week :clap: The rotors that are included are centre lock and I need 6 Bolt. I know there are the Ice Tech rotors that you can get but they are pretty expensive, but they do recommend them for the new Shimano Brake sets.

I have the Alligator wind cutters on my other bike, which go with a SLY brake set. I'm not too keen on them as I find the calipers don't "grip" the rotors nicely because of the outside shape of the widcutter and thus results in the brakes shuddering.

So do I stick with the Alligator Brand but rather go with the Wavy rotor or the Pizza Cutter? Even willing to try the Shimano 6 Bolt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and especially from any folks running the 2012 XT brakes.

You can get a 6-bolt adapter for the centre-lock rotors if you want... Those XT discs seem to be pretty sturdy. Far sturdier than the Alligators, imo...

You can get a 6-bolt adapter for the centre-lock rotors if you want... Those XT discs seem to be pretty sturdy. Far sturdier than the Alligators, imo...

I have seen the adapters, If I can avoid them by selling off the CL rotors and getting something else I would prefer that. Little bit weary of the whole adapter route.

Ive only just realised they come in the set as CL, they have been sent already, so I will sell the Centre locks and get 6 bolt if need be. So running the HOPE rotors with Shimano should be OK? :unsure:

I would guess so, but what I actually meant is stick with what they should be i.e. Hope with Hope and Shimano with Shimano.

I would guess so, but what I actually meant is stick with what they should be i.e. Hope with Hope and Shimano with Shimano.

OK, that makes sense ;)

You will need something like this to fit 6-bolt discs to centre-lock hubs. Sorry, have no idea where to get one.

http://www.aboveandbeyondsports.com/media/03/a20791d130f742acb1f494_m.JPG

You will need something like this to fit 6-bolt discs to centre-lock hubs. Sorry, have no idea where to get one.

http://www.aboveandbeyondsports.com/media/03/a20791d130f742acb1f494_m.JPG

Always dubious of going this route, would prefer to get just six bolt without any adapters

Take em still packaged to your bike store and swap em for 6 Bolt.

Personally I can't imagine the 6-bolt->cl converter to be any less affective... the shimano disc rotors are very sturdy and should not warp so easily as conventional 6-bolt rotors.