Cape Epic 2012 - route launch

scuzzy

So, did anybody see the route yet? What's your thoughts?

Prologue - Meerendal, Durbanville - 27km with the finish on the top of the "mountain"

Stage 1 - Robertson to Robertson - 115km 2350m

Stage 2 - Robertson to Robertson - 119km 1650m

Stage 3 - Robertson to Caledon - 147km 2900m

Stage 4 - Caledon to Caledon - 105km 2600m

Stage 5 - Caledon to Oak Valley - 109km 2350m

Stage 6 - Oak Valley to Oak Valley - 85km 2200m

Stage 7 - Oak Valley to Lourensford - 64km 1350m

147k's for stage 3 sounds like a killer. Many hours in the saddle.

Plus nearly 3 kms in ascent.

Start your training now, entrants!

seems to become a day shorter each year too...

8 Days = Prologue plus 7 stages and no time trial in the middle. Only 1 year it was 9 days.

But how seriously *** is the new logo! Same 5year old that designed the 2012 London Olympics logo?

Also first time in yonks that Worcester won't host a stage, and Tulbag? Voted best venue last year!

The 2012 edition will cover 781km with 16,300m of climbing from Meerendal Wine Estate in Durbanvilla to Lourensford Wine Estate in Somerset West.

:blink:

"There are no easy days in this race. Registration day is easy and the Monday after the race is easy. Anyone who thinks there's anything easy about the Absa Cape Epic, is a fool. My job is to make sure that no rider, in any previous edition of the race, can say, 'The 2012 Epic riders had it easy'," said Dr. Evil according to www.sport24.co.za.

I have entered next year's race, and will be my first time.

They say that this year (2011) was the toughest one ever, 707 km with 15000m of climbing.

Is Dr Evil not making it impossible for the non-elites to complete this race with all this riding? 5 days over 100kms will be killer.

The TT was the saving grace of the "fun-riders" (i use this term loosely because if you have entered the race, you are not really a fun-rider), and with this scrapped, the whole event just seems daunting for the average joe.

What would be in 2013 then? 17000m of climing and 820kms in 8 days? Madness