Cheap Bikes

iRob

Hi

I'm looking for a cheapish, but decent quality bike for cycling to work and back with. This bike will be a workhorse.

Does anyone use one of those Dunlop, or game specials? I'd like to know if anyone has some advice.

Sweeet.

Hi

I'm looking for a cheapish, but decent quality bike for cycling to work and back with. This bike will be a workhorse.

Does anyone use one of those Dunlop, or game specials? I'd like to know if anyone has some advice.

Sweeet.

What about the SS Giant "beach cruiser" type bikes? They go for about R2000 or even less. My link

Don't do it - rather get a cheap 2nd hand bike here on the hub. Those Game-specials will frustrate you to death, not to mention they're heavy, noisy, break easily and are butt-ugly.

Spend R1500 - R2500 on an oldish Trek, Giant or Mongoose and you'll be a lot happier.

Better yet, make up an old bike as a single speed. :thumbup:

Hi

Sweeet.

A friend did that EPR race from Tarlton on a game special (Dunlop I think it was), have not been able to get him on a bike since then...! (By the way, I did offer him a hardtail Raleigh but he wanted to ride is dual suspension!)

Biggest problem he had was from all the bobbing!

Rather find something second hand that wont frustrate you!

What about the Avalanche Charge? It's a simple SS bike for less that R2000. What's your budget?

I bought this bike from Cajees earlier this year, paid R1200.

Wow, a lot of quick responses.

Not bad.

I'm also looking for a 2nd hand bike as well. I do not want to spend more then R3500. As long as the parts can be replaced if need be and it won't brake if I look at it.

70% of the route has a decent "track" next to the road which I currently use, but the rigid frame bike I have is a bit small and I'd like something with a shock. I thought of converting it to an SS but I use it as a loner bike for social group rides and its a classic so do not want to turn it into an SS.

I do think those game bikes will drive me mad.

I'll check Gumtree but if anyone knows of anyone selling a HT around R3000-R3500 then let me know.

Not bad.

I'm also looking for a 2nd hand bike as well. I do not want to spend more then R3500. As long as the parts can be replaced if need be and it won't brake if I look at it.

70% of the route has a decent "track" next to the road which I currently use, but the rigid frame bike I have is a bit small and I'd like something with a shock. I thought of converting it to an SS but I use it as a loner bike for social group rides and its a classic so do not want to turn it into an SS.

I'll check Gumtree but if anyone knows of anyone selling a HT around R3000-R3500 then let me know.

They will do more then that, may turn you off cycling :rolleyes:

There are plenty of decent hardtails to suit your needs at your budget. Brandon Els was talking about the Scott Aspect that is coming out at R2600.

Not bad.

Drop "Nobody" a PM .. he has a nice Schwinn Moab XT he is wanting to sell with decent specs on a very good frame.

There are plenty of decent hardtails to suit your needs at your budget. Brandon Els was talking about the Scott Aspect that is coming out at R2600.

That would be the Scott Aspect 60 @ R2699. Should be plenty tough for a commuter bike.

There is always the option of asking / looking at older models e.g. clearouts of 2010 / 2011 stock. The (Raleigh) nomad range had some budget bikes at good prices.