Recruiters screening social networks

dutchMan

I know about this, a friend of mine at a recruitment agency told me....

that is the reason I deactivated facebook...otherwise just hide it, so they can't find you....

http://9.mshcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/How-Recruiters-Screen-Candiates-Using-Social-Media.jpg

So essentially if you conduct yourself in a civil manner (This trait would/should carry through in your work ethics too) then you have nothing to worry about?

I only use facebook and you can choose what you want others to see. I just hide most of my stuff...

Its clever of them, although sometimes the guys who party the hardest on weekends are the ones that work the hardest during the week.

Recruiters will make assumptions based on fairly superficial things like what you say and wear at the interview, so why not make more assumptions based on what you say and do everywhere else?

If they can source character references, employment history and get a sense of your personality in a few seconds via google surely it is bordering on professional negligence not to do so.

Just use the settings available to hide what's personal or don't over-share.

So essentially if you conduct yourself in a civil manner (This trait would/should carry through in your work ethics too) then you have nothing to worry about?

I only use facebook and you can choose what you want others to see. I just hide most of my stuff...

Its clever of them, although sometimes the guys who party the hardest on weekends are the ones that work the hardest during the week.

I agree with Ratty, I know loads of party animals who works very hard. A company should allow you to have freedom....you can do whatever you want on weekends then, it is none of their business

My new employer sells social networking products/services so being present on Twitter,Linkdin & Facebook is a must. We are even required to be active on all sites.

Heck, one women gets paid to spend her day on Facebook and another guy gets paid to only do Twitter

My new employer sells social networking products/services so being present on Twitter,Linkdin & Facebook is a must. We are even required to be active on all sites.

Heck, one women gets paid to spend her day on Facebook and another guy gets paid to only do Twitter

I never even had a twit account till I started at my new job. I was told I had to get one.

I always do a public search on people I am across - LinkedIn & Facebook mostly. If it someone we interview or just meet for the first time in business and try and understand their background.

I always do a public search on people I am across - LinkedIn & Facebook mostly. If it someone we interview or just meet for the first time in business and try and understand their background.

Would you guys then feel, that not having one might negatively support an application??

As in my case, no facebook.

Weird ... but THE HUB KNOWS STUFF!

About 3hrs after this thread was started, I received a FB message from someone I don't know about an available position in my area and field!

Its scary, but I dont mind too much. I got an interview set up for next week after a recruiter looked at my Linkedin profile.

How could this be scary? As Hairy says if you are generally well-behaved you should have nothing to hide. If anything, my Facebook and Twitter presences are an asset to any potential client. And if they don't like what they see, then it is better for both of us if we don't do business together.

What constitutes a public search? How do they exactly go about doing these searches, and as someone else mentioned what if you don't have a Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn account?

Would you guys then feel, that not having one might negatively support an application??

As in my case, no facebook.

Not at all, just a good place to start if you want to see what someone is about.