Attakwas 2012

Dryland

The date is Saturday 14 January 2012

As a result of this some delays we had in finalising the route, we will open up limited entries on 8 November on a first come first serve basis.

Those of you that cannot get an entry can come and do the Atta Mini over 52km that attracted almost 300 entries in 2011.

We have decided to keep the route the same as in 2011 so all can know exactly what to expect!

Hope to see you in Jan!

Cheers

Carel

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dryland events

Can't wait,awesome race!

Did the 2010 Attakwas as prep for the EPic. Spent fricken 9.5 hours on my bike that day to cover the 135km. Was harder than anything the EPic could dish up.

Will do my first. Already training 300km a week, or is it a month, might be 250 a month now. Ok i will go and look for my bike now, it must be somewhere in my garage.

Hard, yes, blah, blah, blah, is it fun though? Is the course awesome?

It is fun if you've trained hard enough. Amazing terrain. Very technical, and it changes continuously. You never get bored.

Hard, yes, blah, blah, blah, is it fun though? Is the course awesome?

Not fun, but yes an awesome course with great water tables and organization :thumbup:

This is a SICK race. Did it this year and spent 9:55 on my saddle. I'll have to start training of a lot more though, last year I coasted on my Sabie fitness... No such luxury this year.

It is fun if you've trained hard enough. Amazing terrain. Very technical, and it changes continuously. You never get bored.

Hmm, may have to build the SS up for this.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up then.

How would you ows compare the full Attakwas with K2C?

Cannot compare the two.

The first 60km of Attakwas is like a full marathon, a hard one, with very rocky jeep tracks. The remaining 65km is on gravel roads with some lomg climbs.

Karoo to Coast is 90% gravel road and the climbs are not that tough.

My experience is that the K2C is a "sunday afternoon ride" against the ATTA. Forced to miss my 3rd on physio advice because of a buggered neck! :(

Cannot compare the two.

The first 60km of Attakwas is like a full marathon, a hard one, with very rocky jeep tracks. The remaining 65km is on gravel roads with some lomg climbs.

Karoo to Coast is 90% gravel road and the climbs are not that tough.

Yup. Karoo to Coast can easily be done by roadies as well. Whereas in the Atta you do require quite a bit of mtbike skills to complete the race in one piece. There's a gnarly down hill section just before the Spur stop, which has seen quite a number of very bad crashes over the years.