MTB Wheels

W@nted

I am looking to upgrade/replace my current wheelset. Any feedback regarding "hand built wheelsets" vs Complete wheelsets? Im looking at either some crossmax slr's or ZTR crests with hope hubs. Any advice on the weight vs durability? I think the SLR's are a bit heavier, but how does the quality and maintenance compare to the hope hubs?

depending on what type of riding you do can i suggest fulcrum red metal 1xl's . These wheels are epic stiff /low maintanice /2 x 1 spoke ratio/ industrial bearings. these wheels are fit and forget any issues with weight just get fitter :D

Handbuilt ZTR + Crests are the consensus value for money buy from a lot of other posts on this forum.

If you want 'race wheels' then go with something prebuilt.

Can't comment on the hubs, I do know however that the SLR is a UST rim and the ZTR uses STan's BST system. If you are going to use UST tyres go with the SLR, if you want to run normal foldable tyres the ZTR is made with that in mind

I can't speak for the Crossmax, or ZTR's... but Hope hubs, hells yeah! I have a set on one of my bikes and they rock!

No brainer...ZTR + Hope Pro II Evos

The SLR's are pretty and the "red spoke technology" might make you feel like you are going faster, but they are maintenance whores

No brainer...ZTR + Hope Pro II Evos

The SLR's are pretty and the "red spoke technology" might make you feel like you are going faster, but they are maintenance whores

Yup, SLR rear hub needs a service/cleaning every 3 months... but I still luv them. :D Besides the regular hub servicing, I haven't had any other issues with mine over the past 5 years or so.

SLR all the way. Light, stiff, smooth and look cool with the red hub.

I have ridden mine for 6 months with no issue at all. Highly recomended!!

Custom wheels are much easier and cheaper to maintain... almost any LBS has a 32 hole rim with standard spokes. The same cannot be said for SLRs.

......they are maintenance whores....

Quote of the day for me - because finally someone suggested the perfect term for my Landrover! :D