Giant anthem frame failure

marshace

Hi Hubbers

Ride a 2010 Anthem X2, bought in Feb 2010, did Epic and Cape Pioneer in 2010.

Used for these 2 multiday events only plus some tune up rides. Max 2000 km.

In the Pioneer this year I cracked the frame where the top tube joins the seat tube.

It's a vertical crack.

Now many tell me this is a common problem with Giant Anthems !!!

Any comments ??

I looked into this before I bought my X1. Apparently this problem was limited to a series of frames produced for the US market. I am sure your frame will be replaced. Good luck and let us know how your claim is dealt with.

My 2009 x1 frame developed a hairline crack in similar place. Was replaced under warranty with a 2011 frame in 3 days. Good reason to buy new!

I believe it is not entirely uncommon.

The Anthems I've seen this on was where riders downsize for some reason. Riders that should be riding a large, ends up on a medium and extend the seatpost beyond the safe limit. When Giant replaces your frame, have an independent bike setup professional advise you on what frame size to get.

2 guys that ride with us on Anthem 29ers, both had the exact same crack, both replaced under warranty. on bike was XL and one med.

I have an Anthem X3 frame bought in early 2011 and no problems after months and months of riding...

Hopefully Giant replaces your frame chop chop.... :thumbup:

Every single person I know that rides a anthem had a crack in that spot. I dont understand why Giant is not doing something about it, clearly there is a flaw in the frame.

What do they actually do with the cracked frames? Can they recycle it? How much of it? It seems quite expensive to keep on changing all the frames, or are they making so much profit that they don't really care?

What do they actually do with the cracked frames? Can they recycle it? How much of it? It seems quite expensive to keep on changing all the frames, or are they making so much profit that they don't really care?

Gets sent back to Giant HQ for analysis to determine the reason for failure, so that it can be avoided in the future. Sometimes, the development of the frames doesn't fully overcome the weaknesses though...

Gets sent back to Giant HQ for analysis to determine the reason for failure, so that it can be avoided in the future. Sometimes, the development of the frames doesn't fully overcome the weaknesses though...

Yes, I can understand that, but do they recover anything in money terms? If they spend R10,000 in making the frame, can they recycle it and "get back" R5,000? Or is it a R10,000 write-off?

I've seen some carbon frames given away and repaired.

I recently had my frame replaced on M size 29er for crack in exactly the same place as mentioned above. seems like a common problem, but in this way I can frequently have a new frame.

Yes, I can understand that, but do they recover anything in money terms? If they spend R10,000 in making the frame, can they recycle it and "get back" R5,000? Or is it a R10,000 write-off?

I would imagine that the frames cost would be included in their budget for R&D. Money lost, yes, but for a good reason as it highlights potential faults in the frame's make up that need to be rectified, and therefore offset against future losses...

also had the same crack on my X1 2008 frame last year. Giant allowed me to upgrade to a carbon frame at cost price. So turned out to be a positive crack........ :) The comment about the seat post is very true. I was on the limit line, and that put the end of my seat post on the down tube/top bar join. First thing I did when I got the new frame was buy a longer seat post! no problems, yet..............