Alu to Carbon bike

Zatek

Hi hubbers

So I got my new bike yesterday 2012 Merida Scultura 904 Evo. How long does it take to get used to the bike? I had a 2008 Raleigh RC6000 bike with a Standard crank 53/39 and now I have a compact crank.

Everything feels wrong, gears, wheels feel stiff and alos if there is a lot of friction ( have to peddle harder to reach the same speed)

I only done 8km so far.

Thanks

pedal faster (higher cadence) = compact crank

by using a compact crank you will climb easier, not necessarily faster, I use compact with a 23/11 ratio which makes it a bit faster, keeps the cadence nice.....but the 39/52 is a faster combination

Edited by MTB_Roadie

Okay so this has absolutely nothing to do with carbon, alu, Raleigh or Merida. If you are not comfortable with compact, change back to normal.

Lots of friction? That does not sound right. A new bike should be as smooth as butter and you shouldn't have to pedal harder. A compact crank will force you to pedal at a higher cadence to reach the previous speed, but not harder. Also changing to a higher gear should help the cadence part. Take it on a decent ride to get used to the new gear ratios and perhaps the new bearings etc will loosen up. Maybe, because you are not used to it, there is perception that you are working harder.

Okay so this has absolutely nothing to do with carbon, alu, Raleigh or Merida. If you are not comfortable with compact, change back to normal.

:clap:

I only done 8km so far.

and then what happened?

next time try and get into double figures, the cynics here will take you more seriously.

Lots of friction? That does not sound right. A new bike should be as smooth as butter and you shouldn't have to pedal harder. A compact crank will force you to pedal at a higher cadence to reach the previous speed, but not harder. Also changing to a higher gear should help the cadence part. Take it on a decent ride to get used to the new gear ratios and perhaps the new bearings etc will loosen up. Maybe, because you are not used to it, there is perception that you are working harder.

That's what I meant

LOL next time I will do my best to go into double figures.

Saturday I will take it for a decent ride. I just can't remember that the other bike felt so different or stiff.

LOL next time I will do my best to go into double figures.

Saturday I will take it for a decent ride. I just can't remember that the other bike felt so different or stiff.

remember a decent ride will be closer to triple digits.....

I find that I can get used to a bike after about 30km. However, small things like handlebar width, make of shifters ($hitmano are bigger and longer than campy), crank length and bike length irritate me the most. The bigger things like saddle, saddle-handle bar height ext normally get absorbed by the body. ALu bikes are hard and suck big time. If it is not steel then at least half of the bike should be carbon.