Upgrading, what to buy (Scott Addict vs Scott Foil

bigjoe

I am looking at upgrading my current bike....but not sure what to get. I am deciding between the Scott Addict R2 and the Scott Foil 20.

I am currently also training for 1st IM, so triathlons is also something that I do. However, not totally convinced that i need to get a TT bike as it is only a handful events that i will use the TT bike in, but i do a lot of road race...hence the road bike option.

The Scott foil is considerable more than the Addict, even though the specs are more or less the same. Aero dynamics obviously play a part with riding solo, so that is making me lean towards the Foil....but does the difference in amount justify it?

Has anyone bought the foil or tried it out....any comments will help.

Thanks

Look at some reviews on the net, for starters. From what I have read, the Foil has a very harsh ride.

Have you thought about some of the other "aero" road bikes like the Cervelo S5? Imo the S2 is also worth a look - it is the original aero road frame, after all.

The final option on the list would be the Specialized Venge, although that is aimed more at sprinters, I think.

Look at some reviews on the net, for starters. From what I have read, the Foil has a very harsh ride.

Have you thought about some of the other "aero" road bikes like the Cervelo S5? Imo the S2 is also worth a look - it is the original aero road frame, after all.

The final option on the list would be the Specialized Venge, although that is aimed more at sprinters, I think.

thanks, will have a look at them

I got a 2011 R3 which I upgraded to Sram Force, Aero road (not TT) bikes are in the large part marketing hype, all the reviews say that they are generally not as stiff as the tubes have to maintain the 1:3 UCi ratio. Mark Cavendish sprinted the Addict frames for a couple of years so they are tough and proven. Addicts are also great value at the moment.

I got a 2011 R3 which I upgraded to Sram Force, Aero road (not TT) bikes are in the large part marketing hype, all the reviews say that they are generally not as stiff as the tubes have to maintain the 1:3 UCi ratio. Mark Cavendish sprinted the Addict frames for a couple of years so they are tough and proven. Addicts are also great value at the moment.

thats why i am considering the Addict as i cant get a good deal on it....but i have heard that the foil is alot more aero dynamic. will shop around a bit more before i make decision

The aero bike marketing is just hocus pocus. A way to fleece the average Joe Soap. You can get much more aero and more benefit by adjusting your position on your bike

The aero bike marketing is just hocus pocus. A way to fleece the average Joe Soap. You can get much more aero and more benefit by adjusting your position on your bike

Was thinking the same, but wasnt sure. Thinking to rather get the Addict, and just upgrading the wheels with the extra cash i would have spent on the foil????

Was thinking the same, but wasnt sure. Thinking to rather get the Addict, and just upgrading the wheels with the extra cash i would have spent on the foil????

Good plan.