How to fix a punctured tube sucessfully

peevee

I have tried many times to patch tubes and although most people just buy a new tube, and I do most times, I just think it's more environmentally friendly to repair rather than just toss out a punctured tube.

Problem is that although I follow the process I've read in books/magazines, on the net & seen in videos, the patch inevitably "leaks" air resulting in failure each time.

Any tips or pointers to guide me to success?

I've found that the trick is in the vulcanizing.

I've sadly had to fix many punctures (especially of late)... and here's what I've found works well.

1. Don't use cheap/fong-kong puncture repair patches. The rubber is not the same. It doesn't vulcanize as well. Not to say you need to spend a fortune. Rav-X one's work fine.

2. Dry the glue. apply rubber cement generously to both the tube and the patch. remember to apply glue to an area larger than the patch being used. Blow the glue on both tube and patch until it gets a sort of 'milky hazy' appearance. Do this BEFORE putting patch on tube.

3. Apply pressure and rub edges. Once you've applied the patch to the tube, press hard. Also rub the edges of the patch. you should start seeing the orangy bit 'melt' into the tube. This is the vulcanizingtry get it to do this all the way around the edge. Let it dry a bit before inflating.

4.Watch it while you inflate. I run high volume tyres, so the tubes I use have to expand a lot. This can mean that the patch slips when inflating, thus causing an air leak. I test the tube before I put it back on the wheel. I pump it up, watching and pressing on the patch to make sure it's stuck in place.

So there... that's the advice I have on patching tubes. Combike this with the standard instructions (like sand papering the tube before putting glue on, etc.) and it may just work :lol:

Take tube out

Locate hole

Scuff around hole with metal scourer provided

Add glue and spread area bigger then patch

Let dray for 10 minutes

Apply patch

Let dry for 20 minutes

Remove plastic film without lifting ends of patch. If you do, apply more glue and let dry

Sprinkle a bit of baby powder over patch/glue to prevent it from sticking on the inside of tyre

Inflate a bit

Fit

Inflate completely

buy new tubes.

If you must patch do it after the race at home. Clean the surface. Cover the area of the puncture in tube cement (make sure you cover an area bigger then the patch). Allow the cement to dry (until very tacky). Put the patch over the cement. Put pressure on the patch for about 30 minutes. (use those rusty dumbells hidden behind the door). Peal off the plastic cover from the patch to confirm the whole process has worked. The patch should look as if is melted/ merged with the tube

ahh the days of tubes , don’t miss them.

but to help out this is how I use to fix mine and customers ( use to work in a bike shop ).

you need :

patch.

glue.

sand paper.

Baby powder.

Lighter , yip not joking.

Pump the tube up to its normal size it would be in the tire , sand the spot that need to be fixed , get the patch ready ( remove backing ) . then apply glue to the area and light it ( the glue is flammable ) what this does is heat up the rubber and helps with vulcanization . let it burn for 5 odd sec then blow it out and apply the patch asap . making sure you press it down well.

Apply baby powder after that so it does not stick inside the tire .

Edited by Iron

I find that the part of the tube I have patched never inflates to the same diameter of the rest of the tube as the patched part is restricted from expanding fully due to the patch. Is that usual?

If I'm not in a hurry, do think it may enhance my success rate if I delay re-inflating the tube for a few hours after patching it?

I've used the self adhesive patches with about a 90%+ failure rate (I think I may have only ever patched 1 successfully!). What's your experience of the self adhevive patches?

Self adhesive patches SUCK !!!!

the reason i said pump the tube first before patching to the size it would be in the tire is so you dont get the buldge you refer too .

I find it difficult/impossible to pump it to the normal size when the air is leaking from the hole. Any miracle solution? If I put my finger on the hole I won't be able to sand the area and apply glue...

its easy , use a floor pump and keep the pump connected , every now and then give it a burst of air till you done . unless the hole is huge then dump the tube.

I find it difficult/impossible to pump it to the normal size when the air is leaking from the hole. Any miracle solution? If I put my finger on the hole I won't be able to sand the area and apply glue...

Stick a toothpick or similar in the hole. Pull it out when you're ready to put on the patch (obviously).

Stick a toothpick or similar in the hole. Pull it out when you're ready to put on the patch (obviously).

Sweet tip. :thumbup:

Forgot to mention that I'm a roadie....

My condolences! Better to call yourself a MTB'er that road rides. ;)

I don’t even try fix my road tubes when they puncture. Never end up working. Too much pressure at 9 bar!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: F.... genuis pappa