Style of Chain tensioner i used

Iron

This may help some SS guys out there experiencing the same problems I had .

So I kept losing my chain off the rear sprocket and replaced it all with a single speed chain and rings ( this made a huge difference from the geared chain and rings ). But still had a small problem of the chain not running true on the rear tensioner , I have used both spring and static tensioners ( “DaBomb” and DMR type ). The problem is the tensioners did not sit at a true 90degrees to the chain so the chain was scrubbing over the pulleys all the time ( I was not happy with this ).

My personal problem was that my rear dropout / hanger was slightly bent and I did not want to bend it back ( fear of breaking it and not getting a replacement ). So I tried the following ( as shown in the pic ) it’s a Blackspire chain guide used buy the DH and free ride guys .It fits by removing the BB taking out a spacer if you have one in and screwing the bb back to hold it in place , it is also slotted so you can move the pulley up and down I then swopped out the pulley it comes with and fitted the one off the DMR chain tensioner and after a few weeks of use on and off road I am pleased .

Not sure if this is the proper use of the chain guide but has made my SS so smooth . my thoughts to share it with some who may have the same issue one day.

Later

post-8504-0-68257900-1319724232.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the advantages or disadvantages over an eccentric BB?

EBB has less chain friction, because the chain doesn't travel over the extra jockey wheel.

The disadvantage of an EBB is that you change the position of the cranks relative to your saddle every time you adjust your chain. This change is very slight, though, and is not a real impediment.

Those who have ridden all types of single speed are in general agreement that the best method of chain tension is to have sliding vertical dropouts. You can find them on Gary Fisher/Trek, Ragley and Ventana.

EBB has less chain friction, because the chain doesn't travel over the extra jockey wheel.

The disadvantage of an EBB is that you change the position of the cranks relative to your saddle every time you adjust your chain. This change is very slight, though, and is not a real impediment.

Those who have ridden all types of single speed are in general agreement that the best method of chain tension is to have sliding vertical dropouts. You can find them on Gary Fisher/Trek, Ragley and Ventana.

Cool

But then a quick release is out I presume.

Just weighing up options before the plunge

Cool

But then a quick release is out I presume.

Just weighing up options before the plunge

Quick release is fine for EBB and sliding vertical. It is not really OK for horizontal dropouts. If you can find a bike with sliding vertical dropouts that suits your budget, I strongly recommend it.

Horizontal dropouts are not so cool, because you can't use quick releases, and your disc position will change relative to your brake calliper. With sliding vertical dropouts, your brake calliper will move with the dropout.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VY9lef3Ripw/SDvigpikjYI/AAAAAAAAEOY/jJTO_dyBttI/s400/ParagonSlidingDropouts.jpg

This may help some SS guys out there experiencing the same problems I had .

So I kept losing my chain off the rear sprocket and replaced it all with a single speed chain and rings ( this made a huge difference from the geared chain and rings ). But still had a small problem of the chain not running true on the rear tensioner , I have used both spring and static tensioners ( “DaBomb” and DMR type ). The problem is the tensioners did not sit at a true 90degrees to the chain so the chain was scrubbing over the pulleys all the time ( I was not happy with this ).

My personal problem was that my rear dropout / hanger was slightly bent and I did not want to bend it back ( fear of breaking it and not getting a replacement ). So I tried the following ( as shown in the pic ) it’s a Blackspire chain guide used buy the DH and free ride guys .It fits by removing the BB taking out a spacer if you have one in and screwing the bb back to hold it in place , it is also slotted so you can move the pulley up and down I then swopped out the pulley it comes with and fitted the one off the DMR chain tensioner and after a few weeks of use on and off road I am pleased .

Not sure if this is the proper use of the chain guide but has made my SS so smooth . my thoughts to share it with some who may have the same issue one day.

Later

Looks like a win. Why don't you chop your hanger?