Swop my knobly knobblies for slicks?

Smolly

Hi all,

I've been suckered into a midday ride on the 27th of November(more commonly known as the 94.7 road race)YES, i did seed that badly.

SO, back to the question, should I remove my knobblies and put on some slicks (which I have from last years midday ride) or should i push ahead.

Does it really help?

Hi smolster,

Firstly - you going to be very lonely on the 27th - the race is on the 20th.

My last race was way back in 1999 but I did exactly that and really felt the difference.

All the best,

Rob

No question about it. The wheels are the one item that makes the biggest difference in speed on a bike.

I have done both - the knobbly run had lots of rain, so I was happy I did not change, but you will feel the difference. That year I did the back-to-back so did not change - also did it just as a training ride so the extra drag was there for a purpose

Hi all,

I've been suckered into a midday ride on the 27th of November(more commonly known as the 94.7 road race)YES, i did seed that badly.

SO, back to the question, should I remove my knobblies and put on some slicks (which I have from last years midday ride) or should i push ahead.

Does it really help?

Not sure if pushing your bike will be faster than riding it, no matter which tires you use.

I would not let my Luscious Letitia (dual susser) run on anything but knobblies. Nope- i will be running on "The Captain" and "FasTrak". I will also be the unshaven one :clap:

I would not let my Luscious Letitia (dual susser) run on anything but knobblies.

Amen to that brother. Love the sound of my saguaros at about 65km/h...Sounds like you kicked a bee hive and then stuck your head inside

Ooops! Missed the important intel and almost arrived in jhb a week late.

Ok, reason for the knobbly swap question is that I don't feel like removing my tubeless and battling to put them back.

I have a spare set of rims, but cassette or rotors, so can't move forward or stop!

Ooops! Missed the important intel and almost arrived in jhb a week late.

Ok, reason for the knobbly swap question is that I don't feel like removing my tubeless and battling to put them back.

I have a spare set of rims, but cassette or rotors, so can't move forward or stop!

I think best option is just get a road bike then you dont need to swop tires.

Hi all,

Does it really help?

Do it. Buy some cheap 1.95's. :thumbup: Don't let some LBS laaitjie sucker you into ZAR 210/250 Specialized or Continental 1.50's either!

Do it. Buy some cheap 1.95's. :thumbup: Don't let some LBS laaitjie sucker you into ZAR 210/250 Specialized or Continental 1.50's either!

Dude. If you let the youngster at the local bottle store suck you, you have bigger problems than what tyre to use.

Dude. If you let the youngster at the local bottle store suck you, you have bigger problems than what tyre to use.

Tyre. Rubber.

Same difference.

I think best option is just get a road bike then you dont need to swop tires.

Would rather quit cycling :)

So I'll be joining you guys in the afternoon ride as well. Just built myself a dual susser but think I will steal my Lady's wheel (Non tubless) and ride on slicks... As disgusting as that sounds, but if you gona cross over to the tar, may aswell go all in!

Who's got a source for uber cheap slicks?