NEW - GoPro HD HERO2

nathrix

GoPro released the new HD HERO2 on Monday, but I got to spend some quality time with the camera over the past couple weeks, and I am pretty impressed. The HD HERO2 has quite a few new features, the most prominent being the addition of an 11 megapixel sensor and a wholly upgraded user interface or menu system. There is a fine line between bumping up the pixel count (11MP) into an extremely small sensor size (.435 inch CMOS), in which the increased pixels per inch (PPI) or pixel density causes noise and loss of detail issues, but in this case, it seems to work just fine. The new 11MP sensor is also enhanced by the addition of a sharper glass lens, both of which result in better clarity and sharpness, and more vibrant and realistic colors.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/hero2_main.png

To read more

Looks cool.

What do they retail for?

Don't know, just been released. Don't think it's available locally yet as local stockists would most probably like to get rid of "older model" stock 1st at a "special" price perhaps before the word gets out on the street that a newer model has been released and should be available in the near future.

EVERYONE should get a Go Pro helmet camera!

because then, like the people in the pictures on the box and on the tv screen at sportsmans wherehouse, you too will, without any prior training, instantly transform into a basejumping, heli-skiing, downhill mountainbiking, wingsuitflying, superbike racing, rallycar driving, hanglider flying, cliff diving, ice climbing, bull running, rollerblading, tight rope walking, waterfall kyaking, highly paid extreme sports professional!!!

heck, with that camera on your head,even going to the toilet becomes an extreme sport that millions of people will automatically want to watch and revere on youtube!

and dont forget, with a go pro, your movie will magically edit itself by clipping out the hours and hours of boring footage, adding the latest speed metal music, and obtaining extra angles shot from fifteen other cameras that weren't attached to your body and without which the movie would not have had relevance!

if only....

the wonders of advertising can make us all believe and achieve the impossible!

can you tell that i have had to sit through more than a few BORING AS HECK home made "point of view" movies which the author has failed to edit, forcing me to sit and wait for the so-called "exciting part" for over 10 minutes of nothingness and eternal boredom, while the author sits next to me saying, "ok its coming now" every 30 seconds, and then when it finally arrives i go - WAS THAT IT!?!?!

:D :D :D :D

Edited by kamikaze

it retails for R3999 - double the price of the normal HD Hero (i got one and they are awesome little cameras)

Nathrix, how is the battery life on the new HD Hero 2???

I got my HD Hero2 the past weekend. A lot better in low conditions...but the 120fps mode is quite useless because it's not in HD. Rather use the program Twixtor to super slow motion the action shots. Can't wait for the Wi-Fi backpack to arrive, will make the setup angle a lot easier.

We will be shooting some Sandboarding footage this Friday!

I have not read up much about these HD hero's. I do know that i would like one. Which model would i look at? I just want to hook in on my handlebar and record some rides and races. How long can i record for and do i just connect it to my tv or computer to look at the recording?

Rather use the program Twixtor to super slow motion the action shots.

Can you suggest a step-by-step guide how to use twixtor? I tried the new "Optical Flow" feature in FCP X but it's still too choppy. I want to use twixtor but can't find a decent workflow on the net. Do you first run your 60fps footage through twixtor then load it into FCP and edit?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I have not read up much about these HD hero's. I do know that i would like one. Which model would i look at? I just want to hook in on my handlebar and record some rides and races. How long can i record for and do i just connect it to my tv or computer to look at the recording?

This would be the best action sports camera you will ever own - if you decide to go with it. Great quality and durability. Mine is now 1 year old and I had absolutely ZERO issues with it - the only issue is that I wish I had more time shooting footage :D The HD quality is superb and even beter on the new HD Hero 2

1. Which model to look at? I'd say the HD Hero Naked & it retails for R3200 or

the newer HD Hero 2 Outdoor for R3999

2. You get various mounts for the device - yes you can slap it to your bike and

record rides and races.

3. With a single battery, you will get approximately 2.5 hours of continuous

video recording time in mild and warmer temperatures. Cold temps will reduce

run times somewhat, however the HD HERO camera helps to minimize this by

transferring the normal heat generated during operation towards the battery.

If you use the Battery BacPac, you can use two batteries at the same time to

effectively double recording times

4. Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the

card capacity. Here are the average recording storage times for a 32GB SD

card: 1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m 960p (30 fps): 5h 26m 720p (60 fps): 4h 21 720p

(30 fps): 8h 09m WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m

5. Get a 32GB SD memory card

6. Yes, you can hook it directly to your HD TV and play back the recorded

footage.

Found this as well...

GoPro Launches 3D HERO® System; World’s Smallest 1080p 3D Camera. Professional Quality at a Consumer Price.

http://gopro.com/gopro-launches-3d-hero%C2%AE-system-world%E2%80%99s-smallest-1080p-3d-camera-professional-quality-at-a-consumer-price/

http://translate.gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/3D_Camera_01_4Newspage.jpg

April 4, 2011 – Half Moon Bay, Calif. – GoPro, the world’s leading activity camera company, today announced the availability of the much anticipated 3D HERO® System, a waterproof 3D expansion kit for GoPro’s best selling 1080p HD HERO camera. The 3D HERO System is available immediately at GoPro.com and is shipping to GoPro retailers worldwide with an MSRP of $99.99

The 3D HERO System has an industry-first modular design that enables consumers to combine two 1080p HD HERO cameras to form a single 1080p 3D camera, the world’s smallest and least expensive one at that. Waterproof to 180 feet, the 3D HERO System can be worn on the body, mounted on gear and vehicles, and used as a handheld camera. A dual-camera, polycarbonate, waterproof housing holds the two cameras together and a synchronization cable plugs into the back of each camera, enabling them to function as a single camera. A single shutter button controls both cameras.

“The 3D HERO System is exciting for a lot of reasons, one of them being that it’s not just a 3D camera. It’s really several cameras in one, depending on how the consumer wants to use it,” says Nicholas Woodman, GoPro’s founder and CEO. “That you can take two GoPro cameras that you would normally use independently and combined them to form a new type of camera, a 3D camera…that’s extremely cool. GoPro is excited to be the first company to build a camera this versatile.”

“In addition to being a top selling consumer camera, the HD HERO camera is used by more professional production crews in the broadcast and film industry than any other camera in its class,” adds Woodman. “We expect the 3D HERO System to further establish the HD HERO as one of the most versatile cameras in the world.”

The 3D HERO System housing is only 5 inches (130mm) in length and 2.5 inches high (62mm) and is compatible with existing GoPro mounting accessories.

The 3D HERO System includes:

* 3D HERO Waterproof Housing

* 3D HERO Synchronization Cable

* Skeleton Door (allows for optimal sound capture in dry environments)

* 3 Pairs of 3D Anaglyph (Red/Blue) Glasses

* Helmet Front Mount

* 2 Flat and 2 Curved Adhesive Mounts

* Free Download: GoPro CineForm Studio 3D editing software

GoPro’s 1080p HD HERO cameras are not included with the 3D HERO System and are sold separately, starting at $259.99 per camera.

GoPro CineForm Studio™: 3D Content Creation Made Easy

Included as a free software download from gopro.com, GoPro’s CineForm Studio software makes it easy to create, watch and share your 3D photos and videos. Mac and PC compatible, CineForm Studio combines the 2D photos and videos captured with the 3D HERO System and converts them into 3D H.264 files that you can watch on your computer, online at YouTube, and on your 2D or 3D television at home.

This would be the best action sports camera you will ever own - if you decide to go with it. Great quality and durability. Mine is now 1 year old and I had absolutely ZERO issues with it - the only issue is that I wish I had more time shooting footage :D The HD quality is superb and even beter on the new HD Hero 2

1. Which model to look at? I'd say the HD Hero Naked & it retails for R3200 or

the newer HD Hero 2 Outdoor for R3999

2. You get various mounts for the device - yes you can slap it to your bike and

record rides and races.

3. With a single battery, you will get approximately 2.5 hours of continuous

video recording time in mild and warmer temperatures. Cold temps will reduce

run times somewhat, however the HD HERO camera helps to minimize this by

transferring the normal heat generated during operation towards the battery.

If you use the Battery BacPac, you can use two batteries at the same time to

effectively double recording times

4. Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the

card capacity. Here are the average recording storage times for a 32GB SD

card: 1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m 960p (30 fps): 5h 26m 720p (60 fps): 4h 21 720p

(30 fps): 8h 09m WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m

5. Get a 32GB SD memory card

6. Yes, you can hook it directly to your HD TV and play back the recorded

footage.

Thanks bud! My new christmas present to myself will be 1 of the following:

1. HD hero naked

2. X ox 360 with kinect

3. nintendo Wii

4. Playstation 3

Dont know why. I have never owned a gaming console or a video recorder. I just have the sudden need to get these things. Which 1 of the above mentioned do you guys think?

Can you suggest a step-by-step guide how to use twixtor? I tried the new "Optical Flow" feature in FCP X but it's still too choppy. I want to use twixtor but can't find a decent workflow on the net. Do you first run your 60fps footage through twixtor then load it into FCP and edit?Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to the Twixtor effect in Sony Vagas and it only worsens the footage warping we shot of our last trip to the sand dunes. I twix the footage first I want to slow down and then export it into my whole video. So far I haven't found the right settings for the Anti-warping.

If you find a possible solution please let me know, I've been searching a lot on Google to reduce the warping without any luck.