Helmet life span

The Bike Vendor

Got this on another site...

' We’re told that we should replace our bike helmets every couple of years or so, because minuscule cracks can develop over time, rendering them structurally unsound. For the same reason, we’re supposed to replace a helmet that has withstood a direct impact immediately, no questions asked. The problem is... it’s so hard to get yourself to throw away what looks like a perfectly good helmet, just because it might no longer be effective. New technology developed at the Fraunhofer Institute for Mechanics of Materials should eliminate this situation. When your helmet is getting past its prime, it will start to smell. If it develops any large cracks... well, you’d better plug your nose.

The secret lies in odoriferous oils, enclosed in formaldehyde resin microcapsules. These microcapsules are in turn added to liquid polypropylene, which is injection-moulded to form the shell of the helmet. When the shell breaks, the capsules rupture, and stinking ensues. The Fraunhofer researchers used a computer simulation to calculate the number of capsules needed, then used mechanical testing to check that they would rupture shortly before complete structural failure.

“Smell detection is already in use for coated metal components. We are applying the process for the first time to polymer materials,” stated Fraunhofer’s Dr.-Ing. Christof Koplin. “The cycle helmet is being used as a demonstrator. Work on the capsules has finished and we are now completing characterizing tests on individual configurations.” Possible other applications could include pressure hoses, and water and gas pipes. '

Better change that helmet when its old :P

post-26638-0-86107300-1319786333.jpg

So it's not the muesli or the peanut butter sandwich.

Must be all the protein shakes then.

How to force people to buy new helmuts, replacing working equipment when it suits the bottom line of the manufacturer ....

fishy ...

I think this technology is really worthwhile. The principal goes very much along with what rock climbers do with their ropes. They are allowed a certain number of climbs and then ditch the rope.

In my opinion, when it comes to safety, you don't go cheap or you don't look to save a few bucks. Saving R500-R1000 bucks now, can cost you your life later.

Ofcourse it is always possible for manufacturers the abuse the system to make more money. Hence, your skepticism. The principal is still good.

How to force people to buy new helmuts, replacing working equipment when it suits the bottom line of the manufacturer ....

fishy ...

Hmm... I think what happens is that WHEN the help starts to disintegrate, it allows the stench to come out.

SO I don't think it's too bad of an idea to let you know when the helmet is starting to pull apart.

I personally will ride with a cracked helmet, as long as it looks good it's fine for me :P

I think this technology is really worthwhile. The principal goes very much along with what rock climbers do with their ropes. They are allowed a certain number of climbs and then ditch the rope.

In my opinion, when it comes to safety, you don't go cheap or you don't look to save a few bucks. Saving R500-R1000 bucks now, can cost you your life later.

Ofcourse it is always possible for manufacturers the abuse the system to make more money. Hence, your skepticism. The principal is still good.

:thumbup:

What they could do is, lets say it starts to smell. Offer a 25% discount on a new one or something like that.

Strictly speaking all helmets would have to pass some kind of SABS or similar approval wouldn't they? An expensive helmet may have more aerodynamic and comfort benefits, possibly be better fitting, but given that helmets are pretty much moulded polystyrene, is there a major safety benefit of a 2K helmet over a R500 one?

Strictly speaking all helmets would have to pass some kind of SABS or similar approval wouldn't they? An expensive helmet may have more aerodynamic and comfort benefits, possibly be better fitting, but given that helmets are pretty much moulded polystyrene, is there a major safety benefit of a 2K helmet over a R500 one?

No, if it is stamped, it is will do the job. It's just the sticker, weight, ventilation and comfort that decides the price. And an extra R1000 if the words LiveStrong is on it.

Not all of us aspire to the phrase "Yes nanny"

until it falls and the helmet splits and it cracks its skull then it wants to call lawyers in cause said helmet did not work properly.

Yr head Yr call

old Bell advert - Buy a $10 helmet if you think you have a $10 head.

I like the theory behind it, the wearer is under no obligation to replace the unit, the manufacturer is just making them aware of a certain issue and in their opinion its time to change, nothing is forced on the wearer so its not a Nanny issue.

I guess many however will view it with skepticism and ignore it, but that's okay, in effect the manufacturer has simply covered his legal exposure by building in a device which tells the wearer its time to change the unit, how the wearer reacts is up to their own discretion, but the manufacturer has made them aware of the condition and that's all he would be legally required to do and all many people would want.

I COULD also see it covering any fraudulent or opportunistic exposure against legal claims after a certain period, especially in litigious countries like the USA........you know the story, "but I only wore it three times in the past 15 years, and I think I only had a small fall once, now I crashed and it split open and my brains on the blacktop"....well sorry, but the unit was due for replacement after a certain period / damage irrespective of the number of times you used it, we made you aware of the issue but you chose to ignore it and we cant be held liable.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Whenever the nanny tells you to do so

now dont spoil things for me, i am looking for a reason to buy a new helmet okay :huh: