Durbanville to Hermanus

Carmichael

Hi Guys

We are n group of guys that want to cycle from Durbanville to Hermanus, on mtb, anyone know the best/safest route to do ? With a few gravel roads?

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few farms between Durbanville and SSW, but could take a while to figure out. Otherwise from SSW, take the Old Sir Lowry's pass rd and work your way to the wagon trail. Will have to walk a while there but worth the effort. Then at the top you take the gravel roads towards the Elgin Country Club, then towards Peregrine. At Peregrine you can take the Highlands route that comes out at Arabella. from there you can take the tar road to Hermanus, or take the Karwyderskraal road towards Hemel and Aarde. Lots of dirt roads and frm SSW about 100km.

Cool will check on google earth quickly, i knwo the karwyders road.. but had a prob to get there, i think we will take bottelary to sbos, then back rd to swest,and the follow your route, do you maybe have co ords of these roads ?

Sorry, not. But you can google some of it and use your instict on the rest!

Go through Sir Lowrys Pass village, up the old disused road. When you cross the railway turn left and follow the railway as far as you can. Here you will see what looks like a footpath that winds up to the wagon trail. Once at the top just follow the dirt roads towards Elgin. From there it is the tar road through Grabouw to Peregrine. Over to the Highlands road. You have to turn left after a while and then you just follow the road over the Highlands. Becomes a dirt road with a nice climb to the top. At Arabella you turn left and I then usually turn left again back towards Bot River on the tar road. Then right on Karwyders after a few km's. Then at some stage there is a road to your left that goes to Hemel and Aarde. Again a nice climb! This you just follow until you go past the dam and just after it you will hit a tar road. Right on that and this takes you to Hermanus entry. ENJOY!

Edited by slabs

So tussen die 15de en 20 des... Route is gemerk, 127km 2103 m accent, ons stop by peregrine en eet iets en gaan weer aan. Die wat wil join is meer as welkom, ek wil by ons huis slaap sommer die aand en dan die volgende dag of dag daarna terug trap? Nee nie die volgende dag nie, want daar gaan baie bier gedrink word daai aand

Die Roete lyk soos volg - Durbanville - bottelary-sbos,swest- ou sir lowrys pass road and wagon trail to top of sir lowrys, over to grabouw on gravel- grabouw to peregrine via tar - peregrine to arabella via higlands rd gravel and tar - then piece of tar road, karwyderskraal gravel rd to hemel en aarde past la vierge and hamilton russel, into hermanus!

Car M

A nice short but interesting deviation to the last bit of your route: After you cross the dam wall at the end of the Karwyderskraal rd (Boskloof Dam?) immediately turn right and follow the twin track down to the river that flows out of the dam. Cross the stream and hug the right hand bank for a delightful single track for a few km to the farm at the bottom of the big downhill where you can join the tar rd. Taking this route means that one loses out on the fast down hill on the tar rd (80km/h on the knobblies with ease!) but you stay off road for a little while longer.

Enjoy!

Excellent - I always wondered if there was a route out that way, but was scared that you would get stuck at the bottom!

Edited by slabs

Do you have a Garmin ?

www.ridewithgps.com - register,

Ho to "Map my ride" -- click a route and download.

Job done!

Sounds like a fun ride though

Excellent - I always wondered if there was a route out that way, but was scared that you would get stucj at the bottom!

You do cycle through the farm at the bottom, but a friendly wave to the folks there will ensure a safe passage.

I intend to explore the area more to see if there might be a route to the right (western side) of the tar road that links up to the single track just below the school. That will only happen after Xmas.

Awesome stuff mr legs will do that, i think i know where that is. Thanks boys. We are about 6 at the moment. Mr legs i will be there the whole of decemeber. Contact me if you need a riding partner.

Start with the Bottelary Hills mtb trails to Stelbos, then the new Helderberg trails, or take the flatter route along the railway line to S/West.