Race Start

Garfield2010

I am a very slow starter for some reason. Normally in races I get dropped by my group almost immediately. However, after about 2 hours I become unstoppable and just get stronger and stronger.

Are there any other guys out there with the same issues and what can I do to rectify this?

I was thinking about maybe warming up a bit better, but then again it wont help you warm up but still have to wait an hour before the start in the pen at the 94.7?

Was a post about this recently but no real answer was giving. It was said that you should warm up and just arrive at the back of your start group.

I wouldn't do this as in the time it takes you to get to the front of your group a few strong riders might already have broken off.

Does deep heat possibly work in 'warming' up your muscles? Otherwise I don't know what to do.

Edited by Alpina

Go for a short fast spin the afternoon before the race. Will prep the muscles for the next day's race.

Oldest 'trick' in the book. I heard it from my dad and another semi-pro from yesteryear's cycling days.

Go for a short fast spin the afternoon before the race. Will prep the muscles for the next day's race.

Oldest 'trick' in the book. I heard it from my dad and another semi-pro from yesteryear's cycling days.

+1 , far too many people stay off the bike leading up to the race , active recovery rides are key IMO.ride the day before it will help .

So a 20km 3/4 time trial pace.

Ok cool, what exactly is a short fast spin? 20 minutes hard?

20 , 30 odd , high cadence, getting the heart up but no big heavy gears . dont want to overload the legs . Active recovery : means a ride to help not to damage.

Edited by Iron

Ok I will do that. I will also do a few spin classes early in the week just to keep the intensity up. How wrong I was. Normally before a big race I always used to rest at least 4 full days in other words I did nothing!!