Which road bike?

heed0

Hi All

I have a budget of 8.5k (nothing more) for a road bike. I prefer to buy a new bike as this is my first roady.

I've done some research and I've seen these 2 road bikes in the 8.5k region:

2012 Giant TCR 2

2012 Merida Race Lite 903-com

I know they're in the same category but there are some differences like the cranks and brakes. Is there any other things that I should compare?

Which 1 would you take and why?

Through in you 2c's. Your comments would be much appreciated...

Thanks

Edited by heed0

As it is a road bike - R8,5k will go a long way for second hand bike. R8,5k gets you a very entry level road bike.

As it is a road bike - R8,5k will go a long way for second hand bike. R8,5k gets you a very entry level road bike.

I have looked at 2nd hand but I don't find good buys and also there not much going for 8.5k

I have looked at 2nd hand but I don't find good buys and also there not much going for 8.5k

Go second hand... all my road stuff are second hand. Great bike for cheap! :thumbup:

Was in the same bough, got a Felt F85 2011 for R8600.

Was the bike with the most 105 parts on that I could afford, full 105 went for 10K.

Felt has specials at the moment with its own website, last I saw it was R8300. Now its R7760 - leaves money for bottle cages, better tyres, pedals or whatever. http://www.felt.co.z...tclearance.html

A friend got the full 105 silverback for 9K I think, so try bargain on a 2011 bike instead of an expensive 2012 bike would be my advice.

Specialized also has a sale going and look on www.obike.co.za as well for good deals.

Though this Fuji seems to be the best deal - full 105 bar the brakes for 8k http://www.solomons.co.za/node/1292

Was in the same bough, got a Felt F85 2011 for R8600.

Was the bike with the most 105 parts on that I could afford, full 105 went for 10K.

Felt has specials at the moment with its own website, last I saw it was R8300. Now its R7760 - leaves money for bottle cages, better tyres, pedals or whatever. http://www.felt.co.z...tclearance.html

A friend got the full 105 silverback for 9K I think, so try bargain on a 2011 bike instead of an expensive 2012 bike would be my advice.

Specialized also has a sale going and look on www.obike.co.za as well for good deals.

Though this Fuji seems to be the best deal - full 105 bar the brakes for 8k http://www.solomons.co.za/node/1292

Thanks for the sites, I'll check them out in a sec...

The one that you like more. You can worry about upgrading later as there is a whole lot of money still needed till you will ever be 100% satisfied and will feel a big improvement from fancy equipment. And then only till the next new thing comes out.

I would personally go for the Giant, just because it is a Giant.

Coming back to the above bikes mentioned in the thread, which 1 should I take?

Go with the Merida if you have to go withone of those.

Check the classifieds as there have been some good deals.Rather look for a used bike with Shimano 105,it is much better than Tiagra.

PM Chaunce he has some goodies at good prices ;)

hi bro, i have the giant and i love it. its lightish and is a joy to ride and as a plus has the looks of a more $$ bike.

If I were to take a 2nd hand bike with 105 components, which year would be the lowest I should consider?

I would also go the second hand route, second hand road bikes have very little wear and tear but if it looks like its been crashed stay away but other wise if its a one or two year old there is very little that can go wrong. Mountain bike is a different story. I sold a giant tcr alliance half carbon a year back for R9000 with 105 parts 7 months old still brand new, so there are good deals out there.

Never scrimp when it comes to a helmet. I always think its better to spend a little bit more on a helmet, because God forbid you need it, you want the best on your head!

There are some great deals second hand, and I'm sure many here would be willing to advise unbiasedly if you asked them.

With regard to the Merida and the Giant...whichever one looks the nicest!! At least enjoy the looks!

Sadly, if you are more concerned with the age and not willing to look at an older bike there are some gems here you are missing out on! Nish4 has a Colnago C40 for sale with Campagnolo Record Titanium for R7500, complete bike! That bike is older, but its a classic...will still ride as well, if not better than most new bikes today. Its a lot like this, all your mates are buying new BMW M3's...but you go out and buy a classic Ferrari F355. Sure its older, but who cares? You still have the better ride...

My 2c worth..

Most of all, enjoy your riding!