Shorter training rides, do they work?

Smolly

Being pressed for time in the mornings and working past dark on most days, I usually only get to ride between 18km and 23km four to five times a week, then usually a 45km ride on weekends.

Will this assist with overall fitness? Especially over longer distances?

Please advise.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality, not quantity. I don't care if you ride on the moon. You can delete your comment about off road riding. It's irrelevant.

It's irrelevant.

It's a little bit relevant since he mentioned distance, rather than time. 60min road ≈ 60min MTB. 23km road <> 23km MTB.

Depends on your training goals, Smolster...

Wanna finish a MTB Marathon or what?

Or a 40er MTB race?

Remember, all the top flight MTB riders train for endurance on the road and practice their technique off-road.

It's a little bit relevant since he mentioned distance, rather than time. 60min road ≈ 60min MTB. 23km road <> 23km MTB.

Like I said, quality. Hit whatever distance you can (meaning a relatively short distance) as hard as you can. Will be a lot more beneficial than plodding through double the distance. Doesn't matter if it's road or dirt.

Remember, all the top flight MTB riders train for endurance on the road and practice their technique off-road.

Irrelevant. He has limited time available. He has to make do with what he has. It's wonderful that guys train 5 hours a day. Apparently, the OP can't.

Off road does count if there is a fair amount of sand.

No. It doesn't. It's your rate of work that counts. I can soft pedal or walk the hard parts. Or I can hammer them till I puke blood. Again, road or dirt. Doesn't matter.

Your body doesn't know what surface it's riding on. It just knows it's fitness or lack thereof, and what is being demanded of it, and tries to manage that equation.

It's a little bit relevant since he mentioned distance, rather than time.

Nope. Do the 23km in as close to 23 minutes as you can, or do it in 2 hours. Is there a difference in your body's reaction?

Like I said, silly boys.

Stop believing the stupid marketing/dieticians/training gurus. Train like a Trojan, eat like a horse, and sleep like a bear.

Basics.

I'm out.

On average I'm out for an hour. No record breaking there.

One hour on the road will give you a different training than off-road.

Excellent for endurance as you would prob have better opportunity for consistent tempo training.

What is your goal?

That informs your training methods.

;)

Listen to TNT1. If you're pressed for time, you need to make your training as efficient as possible.

In your position, I'd seriously consider getting an indoor trainer and doing most of your weekday sessions on that. You can ride a solid 60min without being disrupted by traffic, pedestrians, obstacles etc. It also removes daylight constraints on your riding, so may introduce the possibility of doing longer rides or sessions in the evening.

If you want to maximise the effectiveness of your training, you need some kind of structured training program and some way to measure training intensity (e.g. heart rate or power). Every minute you ride needs to have a specific purpose (e.g. build threshold to improve long climbs; build VO2max to improve short, sharp efforts; recover etc.). Consider getting a coach to make a specific program for you or read a book like 'The Cyclist's Training Bible' by Joe Friel to help you make your own program or allow you to critically evaluate the cut and paste programs you can find all over the 'net.

One hour on the road will give you a different training than off-road.

Excellent for endurance as you would prob have better opportunity for consistent tempo training.

What is your goal?

That informs your training methods.

;)

Tired of the 40km races, don't see the point of travelling to race for a 2 hour odd ride. Want to migrate to marathons and stage races.

I don't plan on winning anything, but rather for enjoyment without k@kking off too much.

Also doing 94.7 road race, so also plan on enjoying that at a comfortable pace.

As I said, not looking for a podium finish.