Carbon wheels with 'normal' brake pads?

NotSoBigBen

It depends.

Full carbon wheel: no. The carbon rim doesn't conduct the heat of braking away fast enough and normal brake pads melt. Some pads also contain ceramic compounds that can abrade the braking surface.

Carbon wheels with aluminium braking surfaces: maybe. The aluminium conducts heat fast enough to stop most pads from melting (though not Campag, according to Zipp), but check what the manufacturer says.

Zipp gives recommended pads for all their wheels here:

http://www.zipp.com/...e/brakepads.php

More info here:

http://www.zipp.com/support/askjosh/carbonwheels.php

Edited by Edman

Okay,

So if you have 2 sets of wheels, one full carbon and one with an alu surface then you need 2 pairs of brake pads.

If you use the carbon ones on the alu surface, small metal flakes will get embedded into the pads and then when you use them on your full carbon wheels they'll eat into the braking surface and wreak havoc.

Its a pain to change whenever you change the wheels but it must be done.

That is why you must use Swisstop yellow and Swisstop yellow brake pads only Zac! No need to change the brake pads when you change your wheels :thumbup: They are specifically designed to handle both braking surfaces!

small metal flakes will get embedded into the pads and then when you use them on your full carbon wheels they'll eat into the braking surface and wreak havoc.

The small metal flakes you will find in all Shimano brake pads, they are ***! Their compound is Way too hard, even the Dura Ace ones. That's why it chows your rim! I will not use them ever again. I was quite worried that the pieces of metal would get embedded in my Swisstop brake pads also, so I checked quite regulary in the beginning but it does not!

My latest set of training wheels has only ever had the Swisstop brake pads on its surface, so I'm expecting cool running for a very long time! :thumbup:

Okay,

So if you have 2 sets of wheels, one full carbon and one with an alu surface then you need 2 pairs of brake pads.

Nope:

That is why you must use Swisstop yellow and Swisstop yellow brake pads only Zac! No need to change the brake pads when you change your wheels :thumbup: They are specifically designed to handle both braking surfaces!

What Edman said :thumbup:

The easiest solution if you don't want to swap pads the whole time is the use pads designed for rims wheels that work ok in alu rims too, but this will compromise braking on alu rims.

NOTE: Not all carbon brake pads work - Campy carbon pads eat alu rims.

I used coolstop pads (also branded as Zipp pads), and like TNT said, Swisstop also work.

You also use Zipp carbon-carbon pads.

You save the hassle of swapping pads, though you should still check and clean them when going from alu to carbon. Here's what Zipp says:

Please note: Any time a pad is being switched between aluminum and carbon braking surfaces it is imperative to check the pad and remove (by filing, picking, or sanding) any aluminum shavings left in the pad.

I will admit to not being all that diligent about checking my pads before swapping and I've been lucky so far.

Besides the one silly comment which I'll ignore thanks a stack for the advice everyone :thumbup:

Went and got the correct pads, because it's on my race bike I don't intend changing the wheels generally so they can stay :)

Buy yourself a set of the yellow Swiss Stop brake pads and you only have to worry when they wear out totally. You can use them with any braking surface and they don't pick up bits of alu that will damage your carbon rims.

The_Break that would be the ideal situation I guess. Going to my LBS tomorrow for some stuff will check if they have those ....

Is there an eco here? ;)

Buy yourself a set of the yellow Swiss Stop brake pads and you only have to worry when they wear out totally. You can use them with any braking surface and they don't pick up bits of alu that will damage your carbon rims.