Road surface for TT champs!

The_Break

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what the road surface is like out on the Windmeul road, venue for the WP TT in two weeks? Is it a nice smooth surface or rough and with lots of little bumps and holes? My memoryo of those roads is not good, but I do remember they were all pretty crappy. Wondering if it is worth doing, but don't feel like wasting my time if it is only going to be a pain in the butt and rattle my teeth out.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the direction of the route from Windmeul Cellar for the TT.... out towards Klipheuwel road is not so lekker, out towards Stellenbosch has been partially redone.

Sorry, can't help much more than that.

Is the route for WP champs the same as the event that was held last weekend? a couple of laps of 40km for the elites?

Or is it backwards or a different course?

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what the road surface is like out on the Windmeul road, venue for the WP TT in two weeks? Is it a nice smooth surface or rough and with lots of little bumps and holes? My memoryo of those roads is not good, but I do remember they were all pretty crappy. Wondering if it is worth doing, but don't feel like wasting my time if it is only going to be a pain in the butt and rattle my teeth out.

The road surface is not the greatest but I think you will still have the advantage on a TT bike as opposed to a road bike with aero setup or whatever. We were discussing this yesterday at Msunduzi - the consensus was the TT there was more technical and punchy than the WP course.

The road surface is not the greatest but I think you will still have the advantage on a TT bike as opposed to a road bike with aero setup or whatever. We were discussing this yesterday at Msunduzi - the consensus was the TT there was more technical and punchy than the WP course.

Slightly off-topic, but I saw that the surface at the race you're talking about caught out Bruce Diesel and he paid with skin and some hospital time! Looked horrid!

Slightly off-topic, but I saw that the surface at the race you're talking about caught out Bruce Diesel and he paid with skin and some hospital time! Looked horrid!

Yep, I wasn't at the TT but I heard he had a very nasty fall on a gravelly corner - bike and wheels totally smashed. Hope he's well and fighting fit again soon.

Yep, I wasn't at the TT but I heard he had a very nasty fall on a gravelly corner - bike and wheels totally smashed. Hope he's well and fighting fit again soon.

He got out of hospital yesterday, and seemed in good spirits according to his twitter posts.

Specifically, are there potholes and sinkplate type patches. I don't mnd rough road, but the kind that makes you loose control on the bars is what I am concerned about. I can handle a TT bike no problem, but I will never chance it with potholes and a passing car at the same time.

For interest, are there no nice roads that WP organizers can choose for TT champs. TTs should as a standard be done on smooth tar as it is then all about power and aero. Not fighting the road surface and trying to stay upright over potholes, gravel, etc.

The TT course for WP champs is out and back and straight road, you can see the sketchy parts and avoid them, some of the tar is fresh and nice. It's not rough.

But it's not flat either.

If you cant use a TT bike on this course you may as well sell up. You will need it in the wind.

It's not laps.

The Worlds course was a rally course comparatively.

the course is out & back on an undulating terrain with no corners to contend with other than the turn. we are searching for a new road & tt champs route for 2012. any suggestions would be welcome.

Its not that bad, there are a few potholes but they can be avoided easily enough.

Not worried about avoiding the potholes and all the other obstacles I saw today, it is the fact that to avoid them you have to move almost to the center of the road in places. With the trucks and cars on that road doiing 120km/h it is not the safest thing to do. In fact, it is rather dangerous.

Will most certainly be looking to make some good suggestions for a new TT route next year.

the course is out & back on an undulating terrain with no corners to contend with other than the turn. we are searching for a new road & tt champs route for 2012. any suggestions would be welcome.

Would you guys consider point to point races? I.e. not back to same point. There are some nice routes available without a turn if so.

Undulating .... interesting word.

"undulatingpresent participle of un·du·late (Verb)

Verb:

• Move with a smooth wavelike motion: "her body undulated to the thumping rhythm of the music".
  • Have a wavy form or outline: "delightful views over undulating countryside".

I would rather say it is a succession of short climbs on a bumpy, uneven road for which you are allowed to use a TT bike.

(not smooth or wavelike!) This is the 30km route profile:

post-4352-0-69155300-1320581194.jpg

Edited by Tankman

Soooo? Is this still happening today, in this weather??

There is a better chance in finding out here than anywhere else ... I mean we heard about the 3x postponement of WP champs here. right?

Dont want to drive all the way out there with no one to great me! (was planning on cycling there)

And there is 100% certainty that dumbass WPCA will not communicate whatever they decide ... I mean, I am still waiting on confirmation that I am entered into the road champs ... which I did last weekend! :lol: