Sub 3 Argus on a MTB

webs

I did many Argus tours on a road bike with many sub 3's.

Next year I want to do it on a MTB.

Do you guys think it's possible with the gear ratios and slicks on?

And what was last years fastest time on MTB?

I think its possible look at Burry Stander winning a road race on his mountain bike, I think it was in kzn somewhere. Ok it was Burry.

For sure, just get in a good bunch early on and you can do it!! I did a 115km road race in 3:02 witb conti race kings on, so alost did the sub 3 thing witk nobbie wheels..so think with slicks you'll be fine!! Don't know about the fastest time though. Good luck.. The argus is not tough at all, no real climbs etc so you are going to pedal harder to stay with the roadies on a "flat" race!!

just dont see the point of riding a mtb on tar, it's like all the wanabee yuppies with their 4x4's in the big cities

I really don't have a choice.

I don't have a road bike anymore, so I have to do it on a MTB.

If you want to compete for the official "fastest mtb" time, there are some rules like, you are not allowed to use slicks or change your gear ratios, check the website.

I think they should exclude 29ers from this also, theoretically is should be faster and easier on a 29er!

Doesn't one of the Lemmers hold the record for 2:45 or something?

Edited by Tankman

If you do it with a MTB do it properly without slicks, that's the real challenge. Pump the wheels hard and go at it on the climbs and stay with the bunch on the flats and downhills :)

I did a 3h25 in 07 on my old Giant mtb with slicks - its definitely possible - remember its not about the bike :)

I think Gav Rossouw has done it, maybe more than once. Groot Lem reckons he still holds the record, although his Argus in '91 finished in Camps Bay

CRANK: You held the record for the fastest time on a mountainbike for many years in the Argus Cycle Tour – could you tell us how you were able to hang in with the “roadies”? Did you ever run out of gears?

HL: I rode the 1991 Argus on a mountain bike as I was sort of retired from more “serious” cycling and they had a trophy for the fastest mountain biker. It was also the year before the first ever Giro del Capo and as my seeding allowed me to start in the front bunch I had the advantage of racing in the first group with the pro “roadies”: Willie Engelbrecht, Ertjies Bezuidenhout, Alan van Heerden, “Rambo” McIntosh and the rest.

I did put a bigger chainring on front and changed from knobblies to “slicks”. I managed to keep up until Smitswinkel(halfway) when the front group split and about 60 riders went away. I was then stuck in the second bunch of “roadies” with three other mountain bikers: Spook Groenewald, Steve Bowman and Fourie Kotze. I really suffered but managed to out sprint them in Camps Bay in a time of 2h38min.The winning time by McIntosh I think was around 2h29. Overall I was in the top 70 and faster than the winning tandem. As far as I know the record still stands. But we all know road cycling is not about time, it stays a great story if I want to brag after a few beers and I’ve got some funriders over. I received a trophy and they misspelled my name on the trophy. There was no prize money – it’s a funride.

http://www.crank.co.za/hendrik-lemmer-interview/4016

Edited by Lucky Luke.

I did it back in '99 & 2000. Stock gears but put slicks on. I think my best was 2:50 or thereabouts (actually my best Argus time as I've never done it on a road bike). Was not easy on stock gears, you run out pretty fast on the flats!

I think they should exclude 29ers from this also, theoretically is should be faster and easier on a 29er!

I object to your discrimination. My 29er is a MTB, with MTB gears, MTB pedals, MTB handle bars. The only thing that sets her apart are the size of her wheels. She can't help it - she was born that way.