Kneepads: 661 or Troy Lee

banna

Wanna buy myself a set off knee pads for AM riding. I've narrowed it down to Troy Lee T-bones and 661 Kyle Strait's. Anyone have any experience with any of these? Also where in the Cape Town area would one be able to find it? Or is Chain Reaction your best bet?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Wanna buy myself a set off knee pads for AM riding. I've narrowed it down to Troy Lee T-bones and 661 Kyle Strait's. Anyone have any experience with any of these? Also where in the Cape Town area would one be able to find it? Or is Chain Reaction your best bet?

Action have nice Race Face ones. I'm not sure of the name but they are the non shell ones that you are after.

Action have nice Race Face ones. I'm not sure of the name but they are the non shell ones that you are after.

Cool stuff Oh Mega. Will pop in.

Rather go with TLD Lopes than the T-Bone. Have tried both and stuck with the BL's. And just by chance I have a M/L set for you. Still unused.

I have Troy Lee T-bones... (as one of my 4 sets of knee guards :lol: )...

...and they're probably my favourite!

Seriously... those suckers stay put during a bail. Kle Strait's are highly rated too... but as far as I know they don't have a hard cap in them (which the T-bones do).

As for sourcing... I managed to get mine locally from Buycycle for R200 (ridiculously cheap, and probably never to be repeated :( )...

661's you can get form CWC though. Remember that CRC will incur an import duty as well as VAT.

Rather go with TLD Lopes than the T-Bone. Have tried both and stuck with the BL's. And just by chance I have a M/L set for you. Still unused.

Is the Lopes model, the one with the shin guard as well?

+1

TLD Lopes are another one of the sets of knee guards. Brilliant gear! look killer (like a Storm Trooper). I guess the only reason I slightly prefer the T-Bones though, is cos I'm doing more dirt jumping than DH these days. that and the fact that I want them to remain that pretty white colour for as long as possible :lol:

I have Troy Lee T-bones... (as one of my 4 sets of knee guards :lol: )...

...and they're probably my favourite!

Seriously... those suckers stay put during a bail. Kle Strait's are highly rated too... but as far as I know they don't have a hard cap in them (which the T-bones do).

As for sourcing... I managed to get mine locally from Buycycle for R200 (ridiculously cheap, and probably never to be repeated :( )...

661's you can get form CWC though. Remember that CRC will incur an import duty as well as VAT.

Thx Patch. I spoke to the guys from CWC and they're out of stock. Just my luck! Will have a look on Buycycle.

Thx Patch. I spoke to the guys from CWC and they're out of stock. Just my luck! Will have a look on Buycycle.

Unlucky! But yeah... try Buycycle. you'll probably have to phone/email them. When I got my TLD stuff from them it was old stock that they were clearing out. But they may have something left.

As for the different TLD types (Lopes etc.) check out the first post on this thread

What I like about the Lopes is that it has a separate "sock" with some padding. Very little, but still. When I ride Majik or similar trails that aren't as hardcore I wear these on their ace and provide enough protection. For this 661 KS will be better, though.

But for rides that justify knee / shin guards I prefer something with a hard shell. On my way up I put them in my Camelbak then fit them before I bomb it down the mountain. So far have saved me a couple of times.

What I like about the Lopes is that it has a separate "sock" with some padding. Very little, but still. When I ride Majik or similar trails that aren't as hardcore I wear these on their ace and provide enough protection. For this 661 KS will be better, though.

But for rides that justify knee / shin guards I prefer something with a hard shell. On my way up I put them in my Camelbak then fit them before I bomb it down the mountain. So far have saved me a couple of times.

Thx Crow. Ja, ag I think I rather wanna go with something a bit more manoevarable. Never used pads before, so it's gonna take a while to get used to it. And at the moment I wanna use it for light AM/aggressive trail riding, so the shin protection will be overkill for what I wanna use it for. I ride Jonkers a lot, so just need padding on the knees for all those rock sections.