Seeding - Racing Vet

camerons

Hello,

I'm new to bike racing and am confused over how the seeding at big races like the Argus, 94.7 and Amashova works? Specifically what you need to do/what makes you a racing vet and allows you to race in VA/VB/VC?

Is this done purely on having ridden in seeding events and getting a good time like it is with qualifying for A/B/C etc. or do you need to have a racing license to race in the vets categories? Is this the same as a CSA membership or something different?

Thanks

Argus you don't need a license, in my experience they'll put you in a racing category if your seeding qualifies you for it. Mail the organisers to find out what the requirements are.

you need to be licenced and have a great seeding index. and be fit and ruthless, they dont mess around in the licenced bunches.

and having a licence isnt a guarantee you will be riding in the VB,VC bunch in the major races either, you need to be in the top half, or you will be filtered down into A, B, C etc...

Edited by Rude

Thanks for the help.

I come from a tri back ground so am not new to cycling just to bike racing so I'm not concerned about whether I will be able to hold my own or not, I just want to know how to get there.

At the moment I can't be bothered to enter any of the big races because I don't want to start in Z group as I will not enjoy myself. I guess, essentially what I want to know is if there a shortcut to the decent batches, A/VA whatever by becoming licensed or do I just have to suck it up, enter as many races as I can and ride at the back until I am able to "earn" my place at the front?

Thanks for the help.

I come from a tri back ground so am not new to cycling just to bike racing so I'm not concerned about whether I will be able to hold my own or not, I just want to know how to get there.

At the moment I can't be bothered to enter any of the big races because I don't want to start in Z group as I will not enjoy myself. I guess, essentially what I want to know is if there a shortcut to the decent batches, A/VA whatever by becoming licensed or do I just have to suck it up, enter as many races as I can and ride at the back until I am able to "earn" my place at the front?

If you come from a tri background what is so different about riding a 100km time trial from Z group? That's how everybody else improves their seeding.

If you come from a tri background what is so different about riding a 100km time trial from Z group? That's how everybody else improves their seeding.

essentially nothing I guess so if that is what I have to do then I will do it, I am not trying to cheat the system I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with the licensing thing. i.e. open seeded batches were for unlicensed riders and VA/VB etc were for licensed.

yup, most of the Vets have been racing hard for many years, and have time and money to train and afford nice kit. It is a very strong group of racers. They usually race quite safely, there are not too many newbies who cause crashes, like you may find in the other groups.

It takes lots of saddle time to start competing with them. by doing many races you will improve your seeding index, and get strong. If you are committed it wont be too long till you start jockying for top position.

Edited by Rude

essentially nothing I guess so if that is what I have to do then I will do it, I am not trying to cheat the system I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with the licensing thing. i.e. open seeded batches were for unlicensed riders and VA/VB etc were for licensed.

PPA membership is enough to race in the licensed groups, enter league and race provincial champs. So technically even the Z group guys have a racing license :P

Edited by Lucky Luke.