Starting Mountain Biking adventure

MK Killer

Myself and a friend are looking to start mountain biking. The main reason we would like to start i so we can enter adventure races that generally have a mountain biking leg to the the race.

So we looking for advice on what bike to buy (what should we be looking at) and where to buy.

We only look to use the bikes maybe twice a week... once to train and once to race. That being said we dont want to spend a fortune but just need to know that what we buy will be suitable... if it means spending an extra grand for something MUCH better then we would do so....

Thanks

This is a very difficult question, as I don’t know your budget.

First of all you will have to get some kind of indication what your budget is. Then secondly, what type of riding you are going to do.

I do some adventure racing as well, and if you are going to do the short races then a hardtail will be fine. If you are looking at the longer 120 km & 240 km races then I would strongly recommend a dual suspension. With the longer races I would also recommend looking into a bike than is more trail orientated than XC. After 10hours of running and riding, comfort plays a big part. With the longer ones reliability is a major issue because you don’t want to get stuck in the middel of nowhere with a broken 12kg piece of metal to carry around. Unfortunate all this comes with a premium

I know that when you buy your first bike, the budget is always tight. There is a great value for money South African brand called Momsen. I would recommend going for the AL 529 if your are going to stick to the shorter race. They have a range of dual suspensions as well.

This is a very difficult question, as I don’t know your budget.

First of all you will have to get some kind of indication what your budget is. Then secondly, what type of riding you are going to do.

I do some adventure racing as well, and if you are going to do the short races then a hardtail will be fine. If you are looking at the longer 120 km & 240 km races then I would strongly recommend a dual suspension. With the longer races I would also recommend looking into a bike than is more trail orientated than XC. After 10hours of running and riding, comfort plays a big part. With the longer ones reliability is a major issue because you don’t want to get stuck in the middel of nowhere with a broken 12kg piece of metal to carry around. Unfortunate all this comes with a premium

I know that when you buy your first bike, the budget is always tight. There is a great value for money South African brand called Momsen. I would recommend going for the AL 529 if your are going to stick to the shorter race. They have a range of dual suspensions as well.

This is very helpful thank you.

Budget is up to R5000 (but if an increased price makes such a difference would consider)

In terms of the racing we initially looking at I dont forsee us needing the bike for any distance longer than 50-60km.

In my limited knowledge I am looking at the following types of bikes:

2012 Trek 3700

TREK MARLIN 29er (2012)

MERIDA MATTS TFS 100 (2012)

Felt Q600 2009

Felt Q520 2009

Am I looking in the right place? Any advice on these or other bikes?

This is very helpful thank you.

Budget is up to R5000 (but if an increased price makes such a difference would consider)

In terms of the racing we initially looking at I dont forsee us needing the bike for any distance longer than 50-60km.

Well, you get what you pay for. Considered renting some bikes to feel what a cool bike is like, and to see if you have the bug?

For 5K I can recommend the Momsen AL129 (about R5500) & in the Bicyling mag this month there was a very good review on the Schwinn Moab for about R5200. The Momsen in a 29inch & the Schwinn a 26inch

If you keep an eye on the Hub, you can also pick up 2nd hand bikes for very good deals and they are usually very well looked after.

Just keep in mind that you will need allot of extra gear as well. A helmet, cycling shoes, shorts, tools and for the 60km adventure races a hydration pack will be very handy as well. Then the small stuff like a light (for racing in the dark) and a map board. It just makes life allot easier on the bike.

For 5K I can recommend the Momsen AL129 (about R5500) & in the Bicyling mag this month there was a very good review on the Schwinn Moab for about R5200. The Momsen in a 29inch & the Schwinn a 26inch

If you keep an eye on the Hub, you can also pick up 2nd hand bikes for very good deals and they are usually very well looked after.

Just keep in mind that you will need allot of extra gear as well. A helmet, cycling shoes, shorts, tools and for the 60km adventure races a hydration pack will be very handy as well. Then the small stuff like a light (for racing in the dark) and a map board. It just makes life allot easier on the bike.

Thanks. I have considered, and set aside a budget for the extras. Also from what (little) I understand it would seem that a 26inch bike would be fine.

All advice is really appreciated in this respect.

Probably best go for a 26" hardtail. You will know the right bike when you see it. Every bike I have ever bought I have known when I have seen it. Hope that makes sence.

Probably best go for a 26" hardtail. You will know the right bike when you see it. Every bike I have ever bought I have known when I have seen it. Hope that makes sence.

Thanks man. Unfortunately being new to the sport all the bikes I look at just seem awesome....