Cyclist dies on chapmans peak

Zula

Hi guys

Not sure if this was covered but on Saturday morning we witnessed a cruel incident.

Coming down chappies toward noordhoek at about 7am, a cyclist who was riding by himself was apparently found lying stone cold in the middle of the road riding toward Cape Town. When we got there, a couple motorists and cyclists had stopped and moved the man onto the pavement where he lay dead.

So it would seem that he had a heart attack or stroke.

This was really shocking to see and our hearts were bleeding for his poor family who would be dealt some cruel news.

They seemed to be struggling to find some form of ID. Guys we always have to wear an iceid or er24 bracelet type thing with all our details on. It could save your life!

Life is a gift, enjoy every single day because when the big man calls, its game over.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Life is a gift, enjoy every single day because when the big man calls, its game over.

Sad news. And that is why I never answer my phone.

sad.gif So sad when one hears about stories like this...

But huge +1 on wearing a bracelet or some kind of ID... never ride without mine....

I take it he was not hit by a car then? Any idea on his age? Condolences to the family.

Definitely wasn't hit but a car. Apparently he was 47

Definitely wasn't hit but a car. Apparently he was 47

47 Hmmm ... now that makes me feel a whole lot better . Condolences to family and friends.

Poor oke. On the other hand, I can't think of a better way to go: quick, doing the thing you love in a beautiful place instead of fading away in an old-age home. As you say, Zula, gotto enjoy ever day while you can.

Guys for ID purposes, take your old Discovery Med Aid card, punch a hole in it and attach it to the zip on your hydration pack... it is visible and will give people all of your details...

done...

I take it he was not hit by a car then? Any idea on his age? Condolences to the family.

It was a friend of a guy I rode with yesterday.

He had a heart attack.

They waited for him at the top of Chappies in the rain, and he didn't come up.

Very sad.

Guys for ID purposes, take your old Discovery Med Aid card, punch a hole in it and attach it to the zip on your hydration pack... it is visible and will give people all of your details...

done...

I've always kept mine in my Camelback, but your idea is better, thanks!

Terrible thing to happen, for riding buddies and family.

I always carry my drivers, blood donor card and phone in a ziplock pouch in my middle back pouch. There is all my details in one place.

Road up there on Sat afternoon with Zula, and it was spectacular. Very sad for his loved ones, but what a way to go. Doing something you enjoy in one of the most beautiful places.