starting a new stadge race near Middelburg and New Bethesada

karooking

Hi Hubs. I would like to start a new stadge race in the Karoo near New Betesada. I want to keep it cheap. Have two beautiful rides worked out(70 and 90 km)(no traffic and clearn air). How many rides are intersted? Some time late next year. One has cheap accomdation and enjoy the rural towns such as middelburg and New Betesada. One can bring the whole family.

Lovely part of the country, rich in early mammal fossils I believe. High summer might be too hot for us up country volk, how about the milder autumn or spring?

But watch out for the owls, they are not what they seem!

Edited by kosmonooit

Nieu Bethesda has:

Great views

Food

Timekeepers

Warmup and stretching before the race.

Good idea. I may even buy a mountain bike and try to keep my line.

post-24825-0-71189500-1320056565.jpg

post-24825-0-48706100-1320056660.jpg

post-24825-0-17425600-1320056749.jpg

post-24825-0-73334800-1320056888.jpg

Hi Hubs. I would like to start a new stadge race in the Karoo near New Betesada. I want to keep it cheap. Have two beautiful rides worked out(70 and 90 km)(no traffic and clearn air). How many rides are intersted? Some time late next year. One has cheap accomdation and enjoy the rural towns such as middelburg and New Betesada. One can bring the whole family.

Sorry posting again to keep this thread alive, as I think this is a good idea and it could work,even if the numbers are low for a start.

Stayed over for a night in Jan. Had nice meal at small pub very local. Food cooked under the tree. Talked with two MTBers from CT till late.

Owl house worth a visit.

Edited by Blokman

I have spent quite a bit of time in Middleburg this year busy with field work. I always make sure that I take my bike with, as the mountain-biking around both Middleburg and Nieu Bethesda is fantastic.

One of the best routes, but quite long is out on the Richmond road from Middleburg you hit the dirt and then take the Nieu Bethesda turn off. This is some of the most beautiful scenery in SA, river crossings, mountain passes and open Karoo scenery just magic. The best part is having a pint of home brewed Karoo ale at the local deli while you recover and gaze up at the Compassberg. I wish I was there right now... Good luck man, I think you have good idea thumbup1.gif

Hi there i would definately been interested in a cycling trip in the Karoo , I do a fair amount of work in Graaff Reniet and have been dying to cycle around there . just not in summer!! :)

• 6 years later...

Hi All,

I endorse the sentiments of cycling in the Compassberg area. We have just returned from the second of two trips where we were based at Ganora guest farm, and did day routes from there.

The best day out we had was on 'J-P's Loop', a 62kay route starting and finishing at Ganora, with 880 metres of ascent. Quiet, unbelievable scenery and solitude.

So, and here's the reason for the post - I'm trying to contact Lucas Dreyer, who was the first to post 'J-P's Loop' on Ganora's website, and hence how we go to know about it.

If you are reading this Lucas, please contact me via the Hub messenger service. If others have contact details fro Lucas, please sent to me.

Thanx,

Russ

RussD1.

Compassberg with snow Oct 2017.docx