Newbie Cleats..... OUCH!

DeCleated

So... Im a newbie and I was wondering how many times you have to fall because of the cleats before you get used to them?

Went for my first MTBiking at Groenkloof this weekend and the cleat-falls led to a very entertaining ride for my friends!

Are there any tips or tricks to use these things in a safer way/get used to them, or is time spent on them the only way? I enjoyed the ride soooooo much that the hurt, bruised, scraped, and graveled knee wont put me off!

You can try loosening the cleat tension with the adjustment screw so it's easier to unclip.

If you're using Shimano M505 pedals, get rid of them. I had nothing but trouble trying to unclip from mine.

Dont worry we have all done it . to start loosen the spring tension a bit and always unclip before you stop . other than that its time only .

Have fun .

Dont worry we have all done it . to start loosen the spring tension a bit and always unclip before you stop . other than that its time only .

Have fun .

Another tip, borrow some used cleats from a friend. New cleats fits tightly in the pedal.

More than 7 times. That's the record for a friend of mine on his first MTB ride. It was freezing cold in winter and very entertaining...

Sit on the bike in a passage or on a stationary trainer and practice clipping in and out with both feet until it becomes habit. After that you will fall once, most likely in about 2 months' time.

After that you will fall once, most likely in about 2 months' time.

...when stopped at a traffic light, in front of a long queue of stopped cars, at least one of whose drivers will be insanely hot.

Or balance in the passage with hands against walls, practicing clipping and unclipping.

Me, my first time was along the spruit. Dudes couldn't understand why this clown kept slowing down and then falling over. Six times I think was the total.

Make sure you fall in a REALLY embarrassing way in full view of a REALLY hot woman! It will be your last time!

Oh my gosh, hope you're a guy, otherwise just reverse the genders.

Edited by DJR

@ DeCleated: How many falls so far?

Also need to start with clips. My only problem is that I've bought the cranc brothers egg beaters (candy 2) so no tension adjustment.

Will probably fall half a dosen times before getting used to it

If all else fails I'll try the "fall in most embarrassing way in front of the hottest women possible" :lol:

...when stopped at a traffic light, in front of a long queue of stopped cars, at least one of whose drivers will be insanely hot.

Or at the start of a race, right next to the front of the start chute. And yes, there will be at least one insanely hot one watching.

@ DeCleated: How many falls so far?

Also need to start with clips. My only problem is that I've bought the cranc brothers egg beaters (candy 2) so no tension adjustment.

Good luck with those! At least mud does not get stuck in the pedals, but it took me a few months to get use to them (I have the Eggbeater 1). I fell 2 weeks ago as I couldn't uncleat fast enough....ouch

Edited by goedgedacht

There are only two types of riders... those that have fallen and those that are yet to fall.

I have been riding for over a year without falling, and then at a water table in a race I unclipped on the left as usual, dropped my left foot to the ground, and then gently fell to the right in slow motion.