using SPD Shoes without the Cleats

TheV

Any suggestions...

Wife and Son getting into MTB'ing.. Starting to ride really well and just upgraded their bikes - now she rolls a Specialized and the lad a Scott..

Got them some nice freeride platform pedals and Shimano SPD shoes...

However because the shoe's are designed to be used with cleats and SPD pedals they don't grip the freeride pedals nicely.

I was thinking to jippo a rubber insert or something and fasten it using the cleat fasteners to add more surface area until they move to SPD pedals.. any suggestions ?? :blush:

Edited by TheV

Have you tried 5 Ten shoes? These shoes have incredible grip on flat pedals and are the perfect marriage of shoe and flat pedal, if you want great grip but still the freedom of flats. DH"s use them a lot but i ride trail/all mountain and they are fantastic...a little pricey but worth it.

www.fiveten.com

look at the impact, baron, freeride and minnaar

cheers,nic

what?!

seriously, i cant believe this is a legitimate question, and if it is, you basically answered your own question by admitting that spd shoes dont have grip without CLEATS....duh

buy them some tekkies.....or since they already have the shoes...............wait for it............WAIT FOR IT.... .....SPD's & CLEATS!

Edited by kamikaze

what?!

seriously, i cant believe this is a legitimate question, and if it is, you basically answered your own question by admitting that spd shoes dont have grip without CLEATS....duh

buy them some tekkies.....or since they already have the shoes...............wait for it............WAIT FOR IT.... .....SPD's & CLEATS!

+1

I was a bit confused by the post. Its kinda like buying someone a canoe and a ski rope.... they just don't go together.

Get them the Shimano pedals that have clips on the one side and flats on the other. This way they can star learning to ride clipped in when terrain is smooth and can use the other side when they need to.

Get them the Shimano pedals that have clips on the one side and flats on the other. This way they can star learning to ride clipped in when terrain is smooth and can use the other side when they need to.

I have a set of these pedals which I quite enjoy. You do however need SPD shoes with a decent rubber component (and a small amount of flex) to the sole to have any form of solid connection to the flat side for tricky terrain (I have the MT-42). If you have a high end shoe which is ultra stiff with only a nylon? component to the sole, this combination will probably be deadly as your feet will slip and slide everywhere on the flat component.

Freeride pedals with pins and pretty much ANYTHING apart from 5.10's and you'll be driving them to the local doctor to stitch up their shins. In my opinion you have three options:

Standard flats and tekkieboot

Freerides and 5.10's

Clipless and cleats

If you go the cleats route, consider Shimano (or the like) as you can adjust the tension on the clips

I rode for years with toe clips and takkies and thought I would never handle the clip in pedals, but they are actually quite comfortable, I just spent a few days clipping in and out after I first bought them before tackling areas where you may ordinarily have dabbed a foot down. I use the cheap Shimano 520's.