The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

eish - really trying to avoid this. Chainring is about 800km old

Stick it out for a few rides. My guess around 100km and the chainring should break in again. Or so I’m told.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick it out for a few rides. My guess around 100km and the chainring should break in again. Or so I’m told.

I’ve ordered a new oval one. Been wanting to try one so now is as good a time as any I guess ????????

I’ve ordered a new oval one. Been wanting to try one so now is as good a time as any I guess ????????

Was my exact thinking. Will only be with my on the 6th and since i’m on leave i have to keep riding the worn out one.

The grinding noise is driving me insane.

My derailleur makes a grinding noise like that when it gets to dirty, dust/sand gets trapped between the cage and jockey wheels, also only makes that grinding sound when riding on the big rings at the back.

I used to wash and lube those wheels after every ride but found the lube was attracting dirt and causing the problem, now I stripped the cage, cleaned everything and put minimal lube on, touch wood it has been good for my last couple rides

I’m currently on an 11-51 cassette and i’m leaning towards a 10-52.

I assume the chain will need 2 extra links?

Edit: Reason being is that Lyne only has an XD driver for the JB02HE hubs leaving me unable to do Microspline and an XT cassette.

I will need to run a GX cassette with the rest of my Shimano setup.

Second assumption. SRAM chain will be better for this frankenstein setup than the Shimano chain i just bought?

Edited by DR ◣◢

And another questions. 

With lengthening the chain I will need a Shimano Chain Connector pin.

I can't find anything online for 12 speed. Is this some hens teeth product or are the 11 speed pins the same? 

And another questions. 

With lengthening the chain I will need a Shimano Chain Connector pin.

I can't find anything online for 12 speed. Is this some hens teeth product or are the 11 speed pins the same? 

The difference would be minimal, it should work 100%.

According to my chain length "calculator", yes you will need 2 additional links.

Edit: The calc actually show 1 more link but since that's not physically possible, 2 is the answer.  You might get away with your current length, depending if you are "conservative" at the moment.

Edited by Theog

Will definitely need extra if I'm bumping to 52 rear and a 32 front. 

Now to find a connector or go with a new chain again. 

I’ve ordered a new oval one. Been wanting to try one so now is as good a time as any I guess

For the interim I bought a SRAM GX round chainring. Happy to report that the noise is gone and the drivetrain is smooth as silk again.

Will definitely need extra if I'm bumping to 52 rear and a 32 front.

Now to find a connector or go with a new chain again.

I don’t think you’ll find a 12 speed connector pin. Shimano moved away from the connector pin and went with quick link again for 12 speed. Edited by BikeisLife

I don’t think you’ll find a 12 speed connector pin. Shimano moved away from the connector pin and went with quick link again for 12 speed.

So how do you add 2 or 4 extra links to a 12 speed chain?

I’ll end up with 3 quick links in a row if I want change my cassette to a 10-52 and go from 30t to 32t chainring. Heaven forbid i want to go for a 34t chainring.

That can’t possibly be the correct way of lengthening a 12 speed chain.

I’ll end up with 3 quick links in a row if I want change my cassette to a 10-52 and go from 30t to 32t chainring. Heaven forbid i want to go for a 34t chainring.

That can’t possibly be the correct way of lengthening a 12 speed chain.

You normally shorten a chain from new, shouldn’t be lengthening. If you’ve cut it too short, you can add a set of extra links from a cut chain with a quick link. Alternatively, buy a new chain and cut at the right length.

I don’t think you’ll find a 12 speed connector pin. Shimano moved away from the connector pin and went with quick link again for 12 speed.

and the 11 speed connector pin isn't compatible with the 12 speed chain since the 12 s chain is narrower across the outside width 

You normally shorten a chain from new, shouldn’t be lengthening. If you’ve cut it too short, you can add a set of extra links from a cut chain with a quick link. Alternatively, buy a new chain and cut at the right length.

What a crock of ****. Want to change your setup for a race then you have to buy a new chain just to use a different chainring.

I miss 9 speed. Won’t lie.