The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the bottom 3 sprockets jumping the chain when riding hard on the inner or outer front chain ring. I replaced the chain  this morning and still have the same problem . I removed the cassette and i can see the wear on those 3 sprockets is bad . Should i replace those only ( Shimano ) or  must i buy complete cassette considering the rest of the cassette ( 11 speed ) is still good . 

I bought a new  Sram 11 X 42 from a fellow hubber and my problem is solved . 

• 7 months later...

Hi all 

I have been riding my "5km" from home quite often now and after cleaning my bike i noticed that a ring around my crank is loose.  Not sure if this is normal?  Is there anybody with similar bike that can help or somebody with more bike knowledge then me(surely there are!)

Bike is a Specialized Camber.  The ring is on the left side.  It is the black ring with 3 small studs which might actually be small allen keys?  It feels like a fairly thin ring and might just be a cover of some sort.

Don't want to just yet take the bike to the shop just to be told that it's normal.  Will feel like a fool then.  Will probably be more foolish to ignore this loose ring and end up damaging my crank!

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Rgds

Stef

post-148571-0-30530000-1589706362_thumb.jpg

Edited by Schoemies

That ring adjusts the preload on the bearing.  Some models have a wavy washer - yours has the ring.  Tightening the grub screws increases the pressure on the washer pushing it against the bearing and crank.  You want to make sure that there is no play on the crank while it still spins freely.  

That ring adjusts the preload on the bearing.  Some models have a wavy washer - yours has the ring.  Tightening the grub screws increases the pressure on the washer pushing it against the bearing and crank.  You want to make sure that there is no play on the crank while it still spins freely.  

Thanks for the help.  I have tightened the grub screw and will check them frequently.

Much appreciated Mr Marshall.

Don't know if it's been asked before?

I want to upgrade my road groupset to 11 speed from 10 speed.

I want to keep my 10 speed crankset if possible. Does anyone know if a 11 speed chain works fine on a 10 speed chainring?

thx 

• 6 months later...

Hey all, 

About to put a new 1x12 XT upgrade kit onto my MTB.

Do I need a special chainring for the Shimano HG+ 12 speed chain?

I'm reading differing opinions online, comments about using a SRAM power link on the Shimano chain.

Thanks

Hey all,

I'm reading differing opinions online, comments about using a SRAM power link on the Shimano chain.

Thanks

That is what I have done, I have a Rapide 30T chain ring, used with an SLX cassette and SLX chain with a SRAM link, shifting is smooth and crisp, no problems

Hey all, 

Thanks

Put the chain on your current chainring and check before installing everything else.

It seems to be chainring dependent. I've heard of people being able to use their current chainring but my one would not fit at all (XT M8100 chain on M8000 NW 1x chainring). And changing the quicklink would not have helped.

Edited by Jehosefat

Thanks for the inputs however, the bike was loaned to me to use and the problem has emerged 'on my watch' so to speak so I feel like it is up to me to maintain the bike. From the pics can you guys make out any wear or damage that may lead to a climbining / jumping chain.

I am certainly not a weight weanie (I can loose a lot around the mid section before I think about the weight of a rear cassette) and am more interested in reliability - It must be bullet proof!

There are a few things to try first before spending any cash; first of all there is no lube on the chain or the cassette!! Depending on the use get a good dry or wet lube. 

Secondly, the cassette still looks in a good condition. Adjust your B-bolt to move the upper small derailleur wheels as close as possible to your largest and smallest sprocket to ensure the chain runs as long as possible on the sprockets.

Thirdly, check the chain with a chain link checker. Park Tools has a simple but effective unit.

Fourthly, chain the overall chain length whether that might be maybe too long and maybe take out one link to shorten it.

Lastly, always change the chain first to see whether this might fix the issue, if not then you can still try another cassette.

Hey all, 

Thanks

Any NW chainring will work 100%.

Also no issues using a SRAM link on Shimano chain, done it multiple times before.  You can even get a generic link at your LBS.

That is what I have done, I have a Rapide 30T chain ring, used with an SLX cassette and SLX chain with a SRAM link, shifting is smooth and crisp, no problems

Put the chain on your current chainring and check before installing everything else.

It seems to be chainring dependent. I've heard of people being able to use their current chainring but my one would not fit at all (XT M8100 chain on M8000 NW 1x chainring). And changing the quicklink would not have helped.

Any NW chainring will work 100%.

Also no issues using a SRAM link on Shimano chain, done it multiple times before.  You can even get a generic link at your LBS.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will press on with my existing 12s chainring and see how it goes before replacing, shot!

Edited by Dom031

I have just upgraded to 12 speed, using the sunrace 11-50 cassette.  Problem I have is it is rubbing on the spokes.  The hub is a Novetec 712 with a shimano hg freehub.  Do i need a spacer of sorts?  If so where do I get it?