The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

Derailleur cage touching?

nope, I spin the cassette on the wheel off the bike and it touches the spokes, jimmied a plastic spacer and it solved it , but now I need a longer lock ring.  Not happy with plastic either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hubbers, might be stupid question.

How will I know what offset chainring to use, Im getting this grinding sound from my crank ( normally in the Power stroke) so I have a feeling it could be a chain line issue.

Edited by Bomberman

Hi Hubbers, might be stupid question.

How will I know what offset chainring to use, Im getting this grinding sound from my crank ( normally in the Power stroke) so I have a feeling it could be a chain line issue.

Boost spacing = 3mm or 0mm offset (usually 3mm)

142x12 or 135x10 = 6mm offset

Edited by Jewbacca

Boost spacing = 3mm or 0mm offset (usually 3mm)

142x12 or 135x10 = 6mm offset

Thank man, Im currently on a 0mm, will try the 3mm.

set up is a 148x12 (Boost)

Will any narrow wide 3mm chainring work?

You will obviously need to match the attachment setup... So SRAM gxp vs SRAM bb30 vs Race Face cinch etc...

But any 3mm offset chainring that fits your crank set and frame will work

You will obviously need to match the attachment setup... So SRAM gxp vs SRAM bb30 vs Race Face cinch etc...

But any 3mm offset chainring that fits your crank set and frame will work

Again thank for the advice, been running bolt on all my life so this is something new for me.

Have a race face cinch so this should be fine?

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/chainrings/441169/wolftooth-cinch-oval-34t-boost-chainring

Edited by Bomberman

• 2 weeks later...

Just check your spindle size matches the set up. But I think it should work

Thanks Jewbacca. All sorted seems it was the chainring, switched to a 3mm off set and the sound is gone.

Edited by Bomberman

Hey Hubbers - looking for some advice....

This is my current setup:

SRAM GX 12sp Cassette & Rear DR, Sram Gold chain, NX Crank with 32t 94bcd chainring (all were new and put on at same time)

Bikeshop said I should look at replacing chain soon so I bought a new GX chain and fitted it myself. According to chain check tool, hadn't reached 0.75 wear yet (i know 0.5 is best for 12speed chains).

Since replacing (2 rides old) - there is a grinding noise in the larger gears (2-3 top gears) when chain is under tension (so short sharp climbs). Nothing much in lower gears. I have tried the following:

- checked that I fitted chain correctly (through DR and also that masterlink is facing right direction)

- degreased and lubed chain

- even checked my BB as the cup on the drive side looked like it had moved out a bit

Only option now is to replace the chainring (which I really don't want to have to do) - any suggestions before I go that route? Does the chain need to "bed in at all"?

TIA

SRAM GX 12sp Cassette & Rear DR, Sram Gold chain, NX Crank with 32t 94bcd chainring (all were new and put on at same time)

Bikeshop said I should look at replacing chain soon so I bought a new GX chain and fitted it myself. According to chain check tool, hadn't reached 0.75 wear yet (i know 0.5 is best for 12speed chains).

Since replacing (2 rides old) - there is a grinding noise in the larger gears (2-3 top gears) when chain is under tension (so short sharp climbs). Nothing much in lower gears. I have tried the following:

- checked that I fitted chain correctly (through DR and also that masterlink is facing right direction)

- even checked my BB as the cup on the drive side looked like it had moved out a bit

Only option now is to replace the chainring (which I really don't want to have to do) - any suggestions before I go that route? Does the chain need to "bed in at all"?

TIA

Have you redone your indexing?

TIA

Same problem on my end. New chain done at 0.5 and i’m getting the grinding. It is a little better after 3 rides but still noticeable under power.

New chainring on the way. Not impressed with the quality of the one i have now since it only lasted 1000km.

Also check the B screw setting ....

Seems, and sounds, correct on the workshop stand.

When under full load the suspension movement seems to close those tolerences...

eish - really trying to avoid this. Chainring is about 800km old

Same problem on my end. New chain done at 0.5 and i’m getting the grinding. It is a little better after 3 rides but still noticeable under power.

New chainring on the way. Not impressed with the quality of the one i have now since it only lasted 1000km.

TIA

Sounds like a worn chainring...