The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

DR it should be easy ....

Size your chain for your small rings.

Change the gears for an event .... open the quick link. Add your 2 or four links, close the original quick link, and close the quick link on the other side of the extra links.

Frankly, adding the links will take a few seconds only .... will take much longer to change the cassette and ring.

Yes, Shimano has quick links .... pity about their low stock levels.

Maybe DnD can confirm if you could use KMC or sram quick links on a Shimano chain.....

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair points about swopping in links as needed. Will most likely be the approach i take.

For now I can only hope my existing cassette lasts at least another 12 months before this dilemma needs to be faced.

Maybe Lyne comes to the party with a Microspline driver for the high engagement hubs so I can run the XT 10-51 cassette and not need a new chain.

I’m currently on an 11-51 cassette and i’m leaning towards a 10-52.

I assume the chain will need 2 extra links?

Edit: Reason being is that Lyne only has an XD driver for the JB02HE hubs leaving me unable to do Microspline and an XT cassette.

I will need to run a GX cassette with the rest of my Shimano setup.

Second assumption. SRAM chain will be better for this frankenstein setup than the Shimano chain i just bought?

That is going to be very costly. GX cassettes are expensive and then still a new XD driver on top of that. Fortunately my bike came standard with it but I am dreading the day I have to replace it.

If you are happy running the 11-51 I would just stick with it for the time being. Since you have a new chainring and chain, maybe ride the drivetrain until it is totally worn out and then upgrade. I know it is easier said than done as we all itch to always get something new or upgrade!

Edited by Wimmas

That is going to be very costly. GX cassettes are expensive and then still a new XD driver on top of that. Fortunately my bike came standard with it but I am dreading the day I have to replace it.

If you are happy running the 11-51 I would just stick with it for the time being. Since you have a new chainring and chain, maybe ride the drivetrain until it is totally worn out and then upgrade. I know it is easier said than done as we all itch to always get something new or upgrade!

It has been a very expensive 6 months already. Had to replace derailleur, chain, chainring. All at 1000km.

The SunRace MZ903 cassette im using has a niggle right in the middle of the cassette 21/24t that no amount of fiddling can get rid of. After some research it seems like spacing on the gears isn't quite perfect from the factory.

That is pretty much the only reason I want to replace the cassette.

Stick it out for a few rides. My guess around 100km and the chainring should break in again. Or so I’m told.

OK so just an update for posterity's sake - someone might find it useful. My mate (who use to own a bike shop) suggested that I sand down the chainring. He said that sometimes little buhrs develop. I did this, gave the chain another degreasing and there was no grinding noise on my ride yesterday. Worth a try if you are struggling with with this.

OK so just an update for posterity's sake - someone might find it useful. My mate (who use to own a bike shop) suggested that I sand down the chainring. He said that sometimes little buhrs develop. I did this, gave the chain another degreasing and there was no grinding noise on my ride yesterday. Worth a try if you are struggling with with this.

I was considering that. Wasn't 100% sure if that would be a good idea but looks like it is. 

Will definitely clean this one up at some stage and try it again. Not sure if it is even worth it considering the quality of the Lyne one. 

The replacement SRAM is perfect for now. Can't wait to try the oval. 

I was considering that. Wasn't 100% sure if that would be a good idea but looks like it is. 

Will definitely clean this one up at some stage and try it again. Not sure if it is even worth it considering the quality of the Lyne one. 

The replacement SRAM is perfect for now. Can't wait to try the oval. 

So Oval chainring arrived yesterday, fitted and test rode. Definitely quieter and smoother so old one must have been worn. Not impressed at all with the SRAM quality. Only lasted about 900km. Bought a CSIXX one which they say should last like 5000km so we will see

I'm also tempted to try oval.  Let us know how it go please.

Initial impressions of the oval are positive. I'm no expert - more of an avid weekend warrior who enjoys the technical stuff. 

After a short ride (and this may just be all the marketing hype I read about) I must say really enjoyed it. Felt very "efficient" - like the power was exactly where it was suppose to be (no dead spots). Technical climbs that I've been riding for years seemed easier (by about 10%) and didn't feel much leg fatigue.

Again, just some uneducated feedback, but doubt I'd go back to a round chainring.

Hope that helps

So Oval chainring arrived yesterday, fitted and test rode. Definitely quieter and smoother so old one must have been worn. Not impressed at all with the SRAM quality. Only lasted about 900km. Bought a CSIXX one which they say should last like 5000km so we will see

Mine arrived yesterday as well. Installed it but haven't had a chance to test it.

Hopefully I'll be recovered by the weekend to test it. 

Initial impressions of the oval are positive. I'm no expert - more of an avid weekend warrior who enjoys the technical stuff. 

After a short ride (and this may just be all the marketing hype I read about) I must say really enjoyed it. Felt very "efficient" - like the power was exactly where it was suppose to be (no dead spots). Technical climbs that I've been riding for years seemed easier (by about 10%) and didn't feel much leg fatigue.

Again, just some uneducated feedback, but doubt I'd go back to a round chainring.

Hope that helps

From round to oval, did you change # teeth or kept it the same?

Edit:  Same question to DR.

Edited by TheoG

From round to oval, did you change # teeth or kept it the same?

Edit:  Same question to DR.

Also stayed with same # of teeth (32T)

Thanks.

How do you guys manage with such small chain rings?  I'm on a 38 (12sp 10-51) and sometimes consider to go to a 40.  When I loose the 20kg that I want to and also get fitter, will for sure do that.

I couldn't find a hill yet that I cant climb in the 51T gear and hate spinning like hell, ever, slow & power works for me.

Thanks.

How do you guys manage with such small chain rings?  I'm on a 38 (12sp 10-51) and sometimes consider to go to a 40.  When I loose the 20kg that I want to and also get fitter, will for sure do that.

I couldn't find a hill yet that I cant climb in the 51T gear and hate spinning like hell, ever, slow & power works for me.

I'm built for comfort, not speed.