The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your cassette is stuffed. Especially gear number 7. This gear was obviously a favourite gear of whoever rode the bike the most.

However, the reason it started to perform badly is not because of chain and cassestte wear, but because of cable deterioration.

A chain and cassette mesh with each other right to the bitter end and as long as you keep the adjustments right, they will mesh, no matter the mileage.

You talk about "jumping" but this is not a useful term as it doesn't describe what happens when the chain disengages. A chain can disengage sideways, like in gear shifting or poor gear shifting, and it can disengage radially, as in skating over the teeth of the cassette.

The former happens when the adjustment is out. The latter happens when a chain has elongated past a point where it can engage with a sprocket that now has a different pitch than the chain.

The best way to see if you need a new chain is to measure it. Lots have been written about that here.

The best way to see if you need a new cassette is to fit a new chain and see how it performs under pressure. Lots have been written about that here too.

It gets quite complex but it is something everyone that hangs around in this forum should understand. Search for "Everything You Need to Know about Chains." There is a document on the topic.

It gets quite complex but it is something everyone that hangs around in this forum should understand. Search for "Everything You Need to Know about Chains." There is a document on the topic.

JB, can you be more specific? I did a search, and I see you referencing this "document", but I can't find the doc.

I'd like to merge a few of the more educational chain threads and sticky it, and I'd also like to include this.

JB, can you be more specific? I did a search, and I see you referencing this "document", but I can't find the doc.

I'd like to merge a few of the more educational chain threads and sticky it, and I'd also like to include this.

Edited by Johan Bornman

Right, I've changed the thread name, stickied it, and will merge into it relevant chain/gear related threads.

Right, I've changed the thread name, stickied it, and will merge into it relevant chain/gear related threads.

Thanks, what a good idea.

I'll appreciate some peer review on the document. Solid scrutiny can only improve it.

umm, only spotted this thread now - have you considered cable stretch? Get your LBS (or you can do yourself) to check whether the cable is jumping because of cable stretch - adjuster there at the RD.

Edit: I see JB has that covered..... ciao

Edited by Tiny K

Okay so can't access the pdf from my bb just incase the answer lies within...

I'm having a shifting issue of my own.

Just built a new dual susser. Put new gear cables and had to add 2 links to my chain length.

Iv tweaked here and there but I still get a short shift round 8 + 9 and an over shift round 1 + 2. I've checked the hanger and that's straight. Nothing wrong derailer or shifters.

Anyone got some guidance please!

Just built a new dual susser. Put new gear cables and had to add 2 links to my chain length.

Iv tweaked here and there but I still get a short shift round 8 + 9 and an over shift round 1 + 2. I've checked the hanger and that's straight. Nothing wrong derailer or shifters.

Three things you could check:

1) Is your cable housing long enough? A dual sus can have problem shifting if the suspension movement pulls cable housing that is too short.

2) Is your cable attached to the derailer correctly. Sometimes it's possible to clamp the cable in the wrong spot, which will lead to *** shifting.

3) Check for play in your cassette.

Hi if I understand correctly you cant get to the topmost sprocket? In that case you need to make sure that the limiters are setup correctly. Look for the limit screw marked L and turn this screw anticlockwise 1/8th turn then see if you can get to the topmost sprocket. Then possibly your cable tension is too high this is why it over shifts from 1 to 2, turn the adjustment knob at the shifter 1 to 2 clicks clockwise and try again.

Edited by MariusD

Three things you could check:

1) Is your cable housing long enough? A dual sus can have problem shifting if the suspension movement pulls cable housing that is too short.

2) Is your cable attached to the derailer correctly. Sometimes it's possible to clamp the cable in the wrong spot, which will lead to *** shifting.

3) Check for play in your cassette.

Okay I check cable setup, its connected correct, even compared to my other bike. No play in cassette either.

I think the housing length is fine but I have the problem while the bike is on the bench so no sus movement.

• 2 months later...

Got a similar prob - fitted a new chain today (road bike). No jumping, no climbing, nice crisp shifts. All well on the bike stand. But.. when I ride it there is a grating sound when the chain is in the small chainring, expecially when climbing. it dissapears in the big chain ring so not a BB issue (or a rear cassette issue??)

Any thoughts??

maybe I must just ride till the new chain matches the small 39 chainring.. or till the sucker snaps! :(

• 8 months later...

I have a ten speed Shimano chain what is a very light weight chain I can use ? I think my chain is showing signs of wear.

If any one can advice on type pf chain and how to look for wear.

Thanks