The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

From that PDF:

To clean a chain well, it really needs

a good soaking and agitation in solvent, preferably off the bike

I know some have suggested using petrol or parrafin to soak the chain. Will a degreaser like Clean Green also work?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i read the first and last pages and nothing in between the answer to my question was not in them.if asked and answered please refer me to it.

may be a dumb q.

i have a brand new 9 speed xt chain lying around. can i use this on my 10 speed mtb drivetrain?

i read the first and last pages and nothing in between the answer to my question was not in them.if asked and answered please refer me to it.

may be a dumb q.

i have a brand new 9 speed xt chain lying around. can i use this on my 10 speed mtb drivetrain?

No.

Have a Q re Shimano 10 Speed. Are Ultegra and 105 Casette Rings interchangeable, ie just the top 3? My plan is to switch the top 3 of 105 27/12 with the top 3 of Ultegra 28/11.

Anyone know if this is possible?

I have a 25/12 at the moment but being given a 27?12 by someone who is getting a 28/11.....thus was hoping to adapt the 27/12 to become 27/11.

Thanks

You should be able to if the cassette comes apart like that. Try it and let us know.

There should be no spacing or comparability issues as far as I'm aware.

You should be able to if the cassette comes apart like that. Try it and let us know.

There should be no spacing or comparability issues as far as I'm aware.

Too late. Other casette already got fitted............I will get a 28/11 for the Argus.....Doubt I will need a 28 but you never know........but the 11 sounds good..........

I will def. get another Ultegra cassette. This one is 105 and despite being a huge 105 fan, compared to my previous Ultegra it feels like the shift lever has to be pushed slightly further across when going from smaller to bigger rings..Maybe imagination but feels like it..........

Edited by lovestocycle

• 2 months later...

With taking the risk of getting flamed for not reading through all the pages - can someone answer my relative soopid question? Will a M760 cassette work as a replacement for my current M770 cassette with a brand new HG 93 chain?

This is on a 9 spd XT setup by the way..

Edited by MeridaHFS aka Bulls

With taking the risk of getting flamed for not reading through all the pages - can someone answer my relative soopid question? Will a M760 cassette work as a replacement for my current M770 cassette with a brand new HG 93 chain?

This is on a 9 spd XT setup by the way..

as long as everything is 9 speed it will work

• 1 month later...

Hi if anyone could help me. I've got spare bike with 8 speed cassette I want to upgrade it to 9peed.

I've got 9speed cassette and rear derailer And front derailer and I've got the shifters and brakes.

Do I need to change the front rings ? Thanks

• 3 months later...

Howsit Hubbers

I have a hardtail GT with 2x10 XTR groupset. I have the constant problem of the chain coming off the front chain rings when I go over any bumps which is not ideal for mountain biking.

I had to stop and reset my chain 5 times during the Magalies Monster. Its a pain and stops all momentum.

Anything I can do?

• 4 weeks later...

Does it climb off the big ring or the small one...or both? Seems like setting the limit screws on front der. might help. Also...is ur chain too long?

• 4 weeks later...

Howsit Hubbers

I have a hardtail GT with 2x10 XTR groupset. I have the constant problem of the chain coming off the front chain rings when I go over any bumps which is not ideal for mountain biking.

I had to stop and reset my chain 5 times during the Magalies Monster. Its a pain and stops all momentum.

Anything I can do?

I agree with JXV, i had a similar problem on my previous bike, which was a GT, the front derailleur needed setting on the limit screws, and I removed two links from the chain and it never ever did it again until i sold the bike.

Hi all , I've got a mechanical issue. My Ultegra STI 6600 ( right hand 10spd) only shifts 4 times . Local bike shop says they don't know how to fix and i don't have the talent to fix myself . Also , I've heard that just to look at it Shimano SA will charge me 1k. So can someone give me a idea who fixes STI Levers at a reasonable price ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I went for a ride this am , but it ended very soon as my chain kept slipping sounded like it was changing gears on its own. If I gear up its fine but when I hear down to a easier gear thats when it starts slipping.

My bike went for a minor service 4 weeks ago and they straightened the dereiuler hanger . After the service the bike was still slipping so when I got home I checked my bike and found the rear wheel was loose , so tightened it and went for a ride last sunday and everything was smooth. So Wednesday I cleaned my bike removed the chain cleaned all the old grease and muck off it, put the chain back an relubed it. On the stand it was gearing fine but on the trail this am the chain was slipping .

What could the cause be of the chain slipping?

I played with the adjuster by the shifter but still didnt come right