anthemX 29er

Hairy

Hi All

Looking at getting the Anthem X 29'er frame and would appreciate some feedback from those who are riding one:

• What are your feelings RE the bike
  • What bike did you come off before
  • What type of riding and how "aggressively" do you ride

Thanks

H

Love mine,

Came of a anthem 26.

Race maraton and stage and honestly did not find that much difference in the handling, just felt like I could hang onto the fit guys a little longer than normal.

Pop in at Cycle Factory Store. They have a Med X2 in stock. Also have 26" Anthem X on the floor so you can "parking lot test" the two back to back.

I may have one before the end of the week / early next week you can take for a ride.

Edited by The Crow

I had an anthem 26" before and decided to get a 29er. Went with the XTC first and the hardball nearly killed me on the longer distances. I now have the anthem 29er with ZTR Crest wheels and SRAM XX groupset,Happy as Larry!

I had an anthem 26" before and decided to get a 29er. Went with the XTC first and the hardball nearly killed me on the longer distances. I now have the anthem 29er with ZTR Crest wheels and SRAM XX groupset,Happy as Larry!

What kind of riding do you do and how is the bike on techy single track?

I may have one before the end of the week / early next week you can take for a ride.

Thanks for the input crow

When you say tech single track which trail are you talking about and maybe even more specific which section?

Good all round tech single track then ... let's use Tokai a general testing ground for this exercise.

COMPARED TO ANTHEM X 26": (and assuming the pilot is a smooth rider)

Tokai:The two places you'll notice the biggest disadvantage on a 29er is Bridal and Cobra. Mamba, Boomslang, Vasbyt and most of rest are all flowy enough. In actual fact, in some parts, the 29er cope better with the rooty sections. It does indeed feel like you have more travel.

Majik:

On the 29er you loose out on the bottom section of single track that runs along the dam / river. The rest its equal terms. 29er does make up some ground in other sections

Jonkers:

Best part of Jonkers single track is better suited to 26er as it's quite tight and not flowy enough to sustain momentum

COMPARED TO ANTHEM X 26": (and assuming the pilot is a smooth rider)

Tokai:The two places you'll notice the biggest disadvantage on a 29er is Bridal and Cobra. Mamba, Boomslang, Vasbyt and most of rest are all flowy enough. In actual fact, in some parts, the 29er cope better with the rooty sections. It does indeed feel like you have more travel.

Majik:

On the 29er you loose out on the bottom section of single track that runs along the dam / river. The rest its equal terms. 29er does make up some ground in other sections

Jonkers:

Best part of Jonkers single track is better suited to 26er as it's quite tight and not flowy enough to sustain momentum

Can you give the Anthem a good beating on the trail without fear of the frame breaking .... not gap jump beating, but I am looking for a frame that will last.

Can you give the Anthem a good beating on the trail without fear of the frame breaking .... not gap jump beating, but I am looking for a frame that will last.

IMO - yes. I weigh 100kgs and it has taken everything I can throw at it for 9 months with no frame issues whatsoever. It did the Berg and Bush descent this weekend without a murmur...

It's not a Shova! wink.gif

Difficult to know for sure just yet as there aren't (% wise) a lot of 29ers out there yet and those that are haven't been around for 2 / 3 / 4 seasons plus. I'd say if you ride it hard for what it is I'm sure it'll last. Giant has a lifetime warranty on the frame and replacing the frame is usually without hassle. When comparing the two I'd say you can throw the 26er around better. More nimble and chuckable.

Majik

It'll cope with anything the trail can throw at it bar the gaps

Tokai

Will be good for all trail riding - even when pushed hard. Can't think of any gaps / drops there it'll be able to handle weekend after weekend

Hard / beating / aggressive...it's all relative though. My riding buddy and I do most of rides together and we do the same stuff in terms of drop offs, jumps and gaps. But he rides a lot HARDER than me. Not less smooth, just harder. So although we share a love for pushing our boundaries mine are "softer"...