Steep Descending Switchbacks (MTB)

zaslinger

Need some advice on MTB Tech skills.

Steep descent, out the saddle, weight well back, pedal horizontal.

Braking hard front and back, wheels almost locking up - Speed, very slow.

Rounded a left-hand switchback, ran a little wide:

1. Front wheel met a bump and stopped dead, sending me over the bars- slow motion.

2. Front wheel left the edge of the single track, washed out down the slope, lo-siding me slow mo.

All I can think is that the hard braking on the front is the cause.

Should I release the front brake as I turn into the switchback?

Should I push the outside pedal down and stand on it as I round the switchback?

Should I "soften" the front shock a little to allow it to compress a little easier?

Should I slow down the rebound rate of the front shock?

Front: Mountain King 2.4 @ 1.8 - 2 bar

Rear: Race king 2.2 @ 1.8 bar

SID Team shock

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go in slightly faster, sit at the last second and take your inside foot off the pedal, grab the back brake for dear life. This should pivot your back end out.

If the switchback is too steep to sit release the front brake while standing into the turn. you need as much momentum as possible to carry you through.

Where do You guys learn all these things I can't even stay on the bike.Info please books,DVD act.

Years of falling....

Don't grab a handfull of brake - I use one finger braking & speed is your friend. There's probably nothing wrong with your setup,I'd guess that you going to slow. Brake before the turn and not in it if possible.If its sweeping switchbacks then its outside pedal and inside hand pushing down. I dont think there can be hard & fast rules but if its really techy, steep and rocky then you need to shift your pedals from outside to flat to avoid pedal strike.

Pedals horizontal is good - but more important - drop your weight into your heel & drop your heels!.

That - combined with moving your weight back will stop the - flying over the bar!

Turn with your hips - not your arms - you can go faster and be more stable.

Keep trying - see my signature for motivation!

Stay off the front brake. Dragging the back brake a little will help you turn a bit sharper. Lean the bike more than your body. Keep your weight on your outside foot when you turn. Look through the corner at the exit and relax, its fun remember?

If the sun is shining from the West look to the East.

If the wind is blowing from your left lean to your left.

Tighten your grip on your right for left hand bend only.

Look through the turn at the lady taking the photo.

Pout your bum and spread your knees.

Only use the front brake in straight lines (before the corner) - using the front brake with the bars turned makes things get squirrely quickly.

Try not to drag the back too much - it rips the track to shreds.

Remember to WHOOP randomly.

1. Front wheel met a bump and stopped dead, sending me over the bars- slow motion.

2. Front wheel left the edge of the single track, washed out down the slope, lo-siding me slow mo."

Those Solly's Folly switchbacks were hectic - I think a little more speed is probably the answer - bit terrifying though.

Edited by Nimby

Where do You guys learn all these things I can't even stay on the bike.Info please books,DVD act.

Riding down the Bridle path (switchbacks) in Tokai forest will teach you quickly or painfully. They don't come much steeper or sharper.

My advice: Reduce saddle hight an inch or two. Pedals level, outside pedal forward. Move back on saddle. Very lightly on front brake. Keep rolling fast enough to get through ruts or over roots. Practice by doing very slow figure of 8s in the parking lot to learn balance and control.

Riding down the Bridle path (switchbacks) in Tokai forest will teach you quickly or painfully. They don't come much steeper or sharper.

My advice: Reduce saddle hight an inch or two. Pedals level, outside pedal forward. Move back on saddle. Very lightly on front brake. Keep rolling fast enough to get through ruts or over roots. Practice by doing very slow figure of 8s in the parking lot to learn balance and control.

+1 - try focus at the point where you want to end up, so look around the bend, don’t fixate on the corner. Follow the line out wide and cut in.

2. Front wheel left the edge of the single track, washed out down the slope, lo-siding me slow mo.

All I can think is that the hard braking on the front is the cause.

Should I release the front brake as I turn into the switchback?

Should I push the outside pedal down and stand on it as I round the switchback?

Should I "soften" the front shock a little to allow it to compress a little easier?

Should I slow down the rebound rate of the front shock?

Front: Mountain King 2.4 @ 1.8 - 2 bar

Rear: Race king 2.2 @ 1.8 bar

SID Team shock

Momentum,