Service vs Cash

Mapps

A short while ago I bashed my Crank Bros Candy pedal on a rock, damaging the spring and housing. My wife took it to a well known bike shop in the Design Quarter, Fourways (!) to find out if it was fixable. They told her it wasn't possible to fix but they could sell her a replacement for R1800. I smelt a rat and approached the distributors, Bicicletta, who said sure they can fix it - R140 later I had it back, good as new.

Perhaps it's too much to ask, but I expect my bike shop to also give good advice, not just shift the goods.

And well done Shamus and others at Bicicletta. Distributors are often overlooked but they will go the extra mile for the reputation of their products, whereas (some) bike shops are more interested in today's sale.

A short while ago I bashed my Crank Bros Candy pedal on a rock, damaging the spring and housing. My wife took it to a well known bike shop in the Design Quarter, Fourways (!) to find out if it was fixable. They told her it wasn't possible to fix but they could sell her a replacement for R1800. I smelt a rat and approached the distributors, Bicicletta, who said sure they can fix it - R140 later I had it back, good as new.

Perhaps it's too much to ask, but I expect my bike shop to also give good advice, not just shift the goods.

And well done Shamus and others at Bicicletta. Distributors are often overlooked but they will go the extra mile for the reputation of their products, whereas (some) bike shops are more interested in today's sale.

That is why alot of distributors are being bypassed and we try to go offshore. The shops see a way to make a quick buck and they screw not just the customer, but the supplier aswell.

I have mentioned this before , but i think the distributors should become stores and sell direct ( you want a scott you go to scott , you want bell you go to bell ect ) . because simply put the bike shops are messing it up for all parties involved .

ok not all shops , we still do have the good ones around.

Edited by Iron

Face to face you can sort out a lot!

Shamus is one of the guys that backs his products better than most.

Glad you came right!

Suppliers like that will last - and some bike shops wont because of something so silly - just too much effort!

I had a similar experience, I bust my x0 rd, bike shop tried to sell me one for R2000, I bought an x9 for R800! Then Adri- the professor fixed it for free!