Suikerbos ride this Saturday 5 November

W@nna-BE

Hey All,

i have never done the Suikerbos route and was wondering if anyone is going to be riding out there this saturday??

i am obviously a little worried about not knowing the route, i am so used to riding at the craddle which i have done the past 3 weeks, but i heard the Suikerbos route is better prepation for the 94.7

The route's pretty easy. It consists of two one-way loops attached by a small bit of two-way road. You start at the northern car park at the bottom of a hill about 3/4 of the way around the small loop. From there, cross the cattle grate and immediately turn left and start climbing. At the top turn left (turn right to do just the small loop). Keep left for 50+km. When you reach a T-junction at the bottom of a hill turn right and ride 1km back to the start.

Here's a map of the route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43505588

I did a warmup to the gate and back, so the actual route starts at about 7km. It ends at about 64km. I then did two more times around the small loop.

Don't forget your climbing legs!

Also its the season of afternoon showers, so be prepared. And pack spare tube etc it can be a long walk back.

We will be going Saturday, spend most Saturdays there.

For your first time out, take it easy on the bends, the strong winds and odd gravel patches on the road can make things quite hazardous until you are used to the place and know what to expect.

Out of the parking, left straight up the hill (2km's) then left at the T junction and follow the road for the next 50k's. The big hill at about 45k's is the worst, unless you are quite fit you will probably need at least a 25 to get up there.

Watch out for staff cars going in the wrong direction, you don't see them often but they are there.

Are you telling me you Gauties are pinching our mountain names now? (I use mountain in the loose sense here - but I see you do refer to yours as a hill. Good.) :D

Does anyone have a map of the 60km route in suikerbos? please

Last time we went riding in suikerbos, we got completely lost and ended up at the Protea Hotel, everyone cramping and no water/drinks left...we had to organise a lift with one of the Protea staff bakkies (at a cost) back to our cars...what a day...how embarassing :blush:

If anyone ever tells you JHB is flat...give Suikerbos a try! It was great when it lasted

Are you telling me you Gauties are pinching our mountain names now? (I use mountain in the loose sense here - but I see you do refer to yours as a hill. Good.) :D

:lol: listen the "hills" at suikerbosrand make the "mountain" at Suikerbossie seem like a bump...

FYI:

"An hour’s drive from Johannesburg, near the town of Heidelberg, the 11 595ha Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve is one of the best places in Gauteng for cycling, hiking or picnicking among magnificent fauna and flora. The reserve takes its name from the Transvaal suikerbos or sugarbush (Protea caffra) that outnumbers all plants and vegetation in the reserve. The Suikerbosrand mountain range varies in height from 1 545m to1,917m and forms the backbone of the reserve"

We refer to it as a "hill", but it is in fact a mountain.

I posted a link a few posts up.

...and now I've reset the privacy setting so people can actually view it. Stupid Maymyrideangry.gif

...and now I've reset the privacy setting so people can actually view it. Stupid Maymyrideangry.gif

thank you Edman!

Route is easy to follow, we ride from the car park Northern entrance, almost kill ourselves up the 1st 2 odd km climb on cold legs, left at the top then follow the signs around the route.

After the last big climb, some riders ignore the 1 way sign and take a short cut down to the car park.