MTB on TV: who wants to watch the pro's mostly?

sage

Is it just me, or would it not be better if the TV coverage of a race spent much more time on the course, and the general folks suffering through it than mostly showing the racing up front?

Gets boring watching pros doing their thing all the time; I want to see the course and how the general man-in-the-street and weekend warrior is doing so I can consider doing that race.

Sure - sponsors need their airtime, but since I'm not watching anymore, it defeats the object right?

Is it just me, or would it not be better if the TV coverage of a race spent much more time on the course, and the general folks suffering through it than mostly showing the racing up front?

Gets boring watching pros doing their thing all the time; I want to see the course and how the general man-in-the-street and weekend warrior is doing so I can consider doing that race.

Sure - sponsors need their airtime, but since I'm not watching anymore, it defeats the object right?

I like seeing the fatties. It's kinda reassuring. Like a mirror really.

I couldn't disagree more. I like to see and be inspired by people with above average abilities or those that have excelled despite a handicap.The battle of the race intrigues me. Average people with average abilities and an average commitment to the sport of cycling is hardly exciting to watch.

There are commercial reasons - its about getting airtime for sponsors. Generally race coverage (including that on our public broadcaster) is another race to see how many plugs can be made for sponsors, rank and file don't matter.

But after an event I do enjoy seeing how the pros cut it up front, but agree would be nice if they gave a bit more coverage to the toils of rest of the field

Edited by kosmonooit

I couldn't disagree more. I like to see and be inspired by people with above average abilities or those that have excelled despite a handicap.The battle of the race intrigues me. Average people with average abilities and an average commitment to the sport of cycling is hardly exciting to watch.

+1

my opinion...

If by MTB you mean downhill, freeride, dirt jumping, 4x or even all mountain... then yes, show the pro's. Show how they have supernatural tech skills, hit massive jumps, drop off insane ledges and rail berms faster than most of us can go in a straight line. Yes, I wanna see that.

But if by MTB you mean a gazzilion km race out on some district road...

then no! Boring!

Show me the average joe! Couldn't care what the cadence of the leading group is. It's about as fun as watching an exercise bike infomercial. Show me the guys getting stuck in the mud, struggling through the rocky sections, kakking his pants on a descent.

Edited by patches

Show me the average joe! Couldn't care what the cadence of the leading group is. It's about as fun as watching an exercise bike infomercial. Show me the guys getting stuck in the mud, struggling through the rocky sections, kakking his pants on a descent.

This your punt to get yourself on the telly? :P :lol:

Biggest problem with all TV coverage is they don't show enough of the girls. I say 10% pros, 90% girls. There is nothing worth looking at when it comes to an 80 kg shaved legged, white socked , lycra clad twit doing a 'bunnyhop' over a root. Yay. Hot MTB girls, now we're talking

For DH I love seeing the Pro's go down hills at insane speeds,

For general cross country I think Myway's Monday night 2 programs are PERFECT,

G

This your punt to get yourself on the telly? :P :lol:

...and... do you think it'll work? :lol:

Edited by patches

Time is the problem they show a 4 hour race in 15min and it's just highlights they don't show how the race un-fold from the start

my opinion...

If by MTB you mean downhill, freeride, dirt jumping, 4x or even all mountain... then yes, show the pro's. Show how they have supernatural tech skills, hit massive jumps, drop off insane ledges and rail berms faster than most of us can go in a straight line. Yes, I wanna see that.

But if by MTB you mean a gazzilion km race out on some district road...

then no! Boring!

100% with you! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It's a shoo-in! :thumbup:

maybe if I throw some bails in everytime I see a cameraman, that'll get me on TV?!