More gearing woes

TiBones

Anyone got any ideas on how to increase the resistance on a Giant IDT? I do not get anywhere near enough resistance using the MTB's gearing.

Anyone got any ideas on how to increase the resistance on a Giant IDT? I do not get anywhere near enough resistance using the MTB's gearing.

:D I was going to say..Find a GOOD hill....but then I noticed where you live. MoundVille.

Thanks Drongo! Tried that but the weight of that IDT........ Too much. Maybe I should buy a carbon one :lol:

Nee wat, those trainers suck. I use one, I can cycle in the heaviest setting on my 50/11 ratio and yet I still pedal with ease :thumbdown:

Edited by MTB_Roadie

And you cant turn the knob moving the flywheel unit too tight, might stuff up the rear hub? Speaking of which, what is the "acceptable norm" when setting the wheel and Flywheel resistance, ie, how many turns?

Thinking of ditching mine as well, but is was a gift from the wife

Mine came with some remote, so I put the remote on the heaviest function The trainer works well for a nice relaxing warm up cycle, but for real training it sucks, now I know why people spend over R3k+ on a IDT.

Best would be to look for something better like the Tacx?

And you cant turn the knob moving the flywheel unit too tight, might stuff up the rear hub?

The hub should be fine. The tyre might suffer a bit, though.

Nee wat, those trainers suck. I use one, I can cycle in the heaviest setting on my 50/11 ratio and yet I still pedal with ease :thumbdown:

:lol: :lol: :lol: 50 is not a heavy gear Pansy!

I see Ertjies used to tape a lot of spanners to his saddle and moulded weights to fit to his peddles, Try it, it worked for him

Simple, take an elastic band and pull it over rear brake lever and handle and play with the tension in the elastic band untill you have enough resistance. Wear on pads is the downside, but as the IDT allready gives some resistance, it shouldn't be to bad.

@knobbymech - No back brake. 29 er with my wife's 26 wheel and no disc

@indigokid - haha you funny! wish I had one. Sold mine to puncture girl after 94.7 2010