Durban Mayor commits to commuting Pinetown to Durban

Cyclocross

From a press release just received via e-mail. Should be interesting. Will there be a Mayoral convoy with blue lights? Will putting the Mayor at risk (e.g. passing too close by motorists or failing to move over on the down hills) warrant use of force by his entourage?

Press Release: EThekwini Municipality Mayor Commits to Cycling to Work

Regularly

This press release was emailed out at : 03 November, 2011 06:00

EThekwini Municipality Mayor James Nxumalo has committed himself to

cycling regularly using an electric bicycle when going to work.The

pledge was made during the launch of the Metro Police Electric Bicycle

Pilot Project held today. Ten electric bicycles were

handed over to the Metro Police to use when patrolling in the Durban

beach front as part of the pilot.

The project aims to test alternative modes of transportation in the

City. Petrol and diesel engines continue to contribute negatively to

the overall carbon footprint."As the eThekwini Municipality we are

committed to playing our part in renewable energy and different modes

of transportation. I will be cycling regularly from my home in

Pinetown to work at the City Hall. I will do my best to do this

regularly. I am challenging other Mayors throughout South Africa and

internationally to commit themselves as I have," said Nxumalo.

Is the use of the term "cycling" not used a little too freely here considering he will be on an electric (Battery) operated bicycle.

The highlight though is that he is trying it and hopefully there will be a good spin off from this venture.

This is a real positive move :thumbup: . Would be great if more public officials would start cycling to work and push for greener cities. That is what I love about the European countries. You can safely cycle anywhere with designated cycling routes and cyclist awareness.

Good for him.... bet he doesnt do the afternoon commute back up the hill!!!

Dude, I'm pretty sure he'll be doing Cowies Hill on the way there, which is also a bit of a wench!

Good for Cycling and green living on the whole.......

What I dont understand is why cant the officers ,on the beach front patrol, not use normal bicycles?

just my 5c worth.

What I dont understand is why cant the officers ,on the beach front patrol, not use normal bicycles?

just my 5c worth.

Stomach in, chest out?

Stomach out, pie in - mouth?

Edited by TNT1

just my 5c worth.

The bikes would get stolen from them while they stop at KFC or Milky Lane :rolleyes:

just my 5c worth.

It is a start, sooner or later one of them will realise that it is easier to cycle a lighter bike (ie without the battery), and then he/she will buy his own super light XC mountain bike.

THe electric part is a gimmick to persuade the lard officers to get on the bike in the first place.

Baby steps.

Stomach in, chest out?

Stomach out, pie in - mouth?

Come summer in the CBD of CT we often have either the traffic dept. or police dept. on bicycles patrolling. These guys don't look like race snakes, but rather good conditioned / fit looking guys on the bikes ..... I say they are not race snakes and I am glad RE this .. they carry muscle that would be handy in wrestling with a boisterous criminal

Come summer in the CBD of CT we often have either the traffic dept. or police dept. on bicycles patrolling. These guys don't look like race snakes, but rather good conditioned / fit looking guys on the bikes ..... I say they are not race snakes and I am glad RE this .. they carry muscle that would be handy in wrestling with a boisterous criminal

Yip. I seen em. :thumbup:

Edited by TNT1

Yip. I seen em. :thumbup:

Where they patrolling in the Spur parking lot? That was probably Chubb security then :unsure:

Where they patrolling in the Spur parking lot? That was probably Chubb security then :unsure:

Chop.

Edit: Post a pic of your wife. It might make me think more favourably of CT. (of course it might me think even less of it...)

Edited by TNT1

Chop.

Edit: Post a pic of your wife. It might make me think more favourably of CT. (of course it might me think even less of it...)

post-5403-0-39117800-1320326838.jpg