To Hell and Back

29er FAN

I am doing my very first Hell and Back next weekend.

In fact the first multiday I am doing - mainly due to the cost of the stuff!

Any advice for first timer?

What to pack - what I'll need?

How to approach the route etc?

Any input would be appreciated!

Take a little cooler box with drinks and enough snacks etc for the period between noon Saturday and the evening supper, as the camp is far from everything. Mosquito spray will guarantee a good sleep because the mossies will try and have an early Christmas supper.

Take note their is a nice long steady climb a few km's from the end that is going to crack you up. The 2nd day has always been more difficult to me, so don't start fast ,as you climb most of the way back home.

Take it easy initially up Swartberg pass on day 1. The climb gets progressively steeper so if you go too hard, you're going to suffer later on. Don't eat a Spur burger at the second last water point. There is ALWAYS a huge climb right after a spur water point.

Be nice to the guys on the route. Chances are that you'll be camping next to the asshole who almost caused an accident right in front of you earlier in the day.

Drink lots of water after stage 1 and take the time to chat to the other riders.

On day 2 you'll climb out of the Hell quicker than what you'd think. The hard part is still coming. You're going to ask yourself where day 2's climbs were when they were supposed to be down-hill. Take a moment before descending the Swartberg pass to take in the view. The Kruisrivier floodplain is beautiful right now.

Start slowly and taper of immediately!! :clap:

Also doing the race,did it last year as well.Drink a lot of beers and eat loads of hot dogs,that is always a good strategy for Elands pass on Sunday morning!

Take a decent sleeping bag. The Hell is cold. I know it's weird, but that place is weird.

Tale lots of food for saturday arvie. You will get munchies. Sleep enough, force yourself to ride slower than you think, eat and drink enough on the bike, take lots of chamois cream.

Have fun. It's an awesome race.