First Clubride advice?

Staurday morning will see me doing my first clubride and I dont know what to take with.... with regards to food and drinks on the trail. I haven't been cycling much, but the guys invited me to see if I would like it.

So give me your opinion/advice on what to eat tonight, tomorrow morning and during/after the ride!

Just don't go too far, too fast. Remember. Even if you still feel fine at 50km, you still need to ride 50km back.

Remember that old saying "if it ani't broke don't fix it"

Stick to your normal routine and you should be fine for the frist few rides. After that you can start adding or subtracting nutrition based on your performance.

Take an energy bar / banana / snack bar... something to eat, just in case you find you've gone a distance further than what you are used to.

Dont forget to drink even if you are not thirsty. Try water at first and then move onto something that suits your taste and requirements.

Take water enough for 400ml+ per hour and a bite to eat. Oh! and if your mates say it will be a short ride, remember your passport!

never drink only water (my opinion)

not saying you need some jetfuel or "R500 a can" energy doepa, but energade, game or something containing electrolytes is crucial, just make sure not to mix it strong. also take a banana if you think you'll be out there for more than 2.5 hours.

and take stuff to repair your tires, some okes get peeved off when you rock up without any repair kit and start begging for tubes if something goes wrong.

other than that, take it easy and enjoy

Always watch the man in front of you as well as looking past him in front to see who is stopping ect . NEVER overlap wheels !!!

if you hear HOLE , it because there is a hole coming , move around , buy watching the front few to see which way.

If you hear GLASS , do the same as above.

If the dude in front smacks his left hand on his left but cheek ( he is not wanting to make a move on you ) it means there is a obstruction approaching on that side .move to the right to avoid it.

have fun .

Edited by Iron

Just don't go too far, too fast. Remember. Even if you still feel fine at 50km, you still need to ride 50km back.

What if it's a 50km loop?

Remember to be 10 minutes early. Nothing gets the guys backs out of joint like a newby thats late.

Stay modest.

This is very much a look-see by the other riders to measure your fitness and skill, so they may want to push you a bit to find out.

Never take the lead on any technical section. Infact, try to stay as far back as possible, even if your skills are better than the guys infront of you. If you are more skilled than them, they will probably ask you to ride through. This is ok to do.

Don't challenge the leader of the pack on the first ride.

Say hi to everyone, but focus on 2 or 3 riders in the group to talk to.

Complement their bikes and gear and ask questions about their equipment.

Never touch another man bike without them giving you express permission. Chances are they'll rather loan you their wife / girlfriend for the weekend than touch their bikes.

If you bring anything other than energy bars /gu to eat, be prepared to share (Nuts or biltong are some of my trail snacks of choice)

Take your celphone with incase the ride gets too long for you and someone needs to come pick you up.

Take cash along so that if they stop for coffee / cooldrink that you can get one too.

You don't have to pay for everyone's coffee / cooldrink.

Take your own spares along and know how to use them.

Edited by MorewoodMad

I would like to think your mates will look after you and give some advice on the ride.

If your unsure ask, and don't be afraid to ask again and again even if you think it's a stupid question. Good luck and enjoy.

Remember to be 10 minutes early. Nothing gets the guys backs out of joint like a newby thats late.

Stay modest.

This is very much a look-see by the other riders to measure your fitness and skill, so they may want to push you a bit to find out.

Never take the lead on any technical section. Infact, try to stay as far back as possible, even if your skills are better than the guys infront of you. If you are more skilled than them, they will probably ask you to ride through. This is ok to do.

Never touch another man bike without them giving you express permission. Chances are they'll rather loan you their wife / girlfriend for the weekend than touch their bikes.

If you bring anything other than energy bars /gu to eat, be prepared to share (Nuts or biltong are some of my trail snacks of choice)

Take your celphone with incase the ride gets too long for you and someone needs to come pick you up.

Take cash along so that if they stop for coffee / cooldrink that you can get one too.

Fark Steaks! All these fokkin rules. WTF? I thought MTB was all relaxed, get on your bike and ride.

Stay modest.

Screw that.

Show up late and act like a complete tool.

On the downhill yell TRACK as loud as you can and pass the ones looking wobbly. Give the hottest chick a smack on the butt while you at it.

If there is a 'lead' rider, throw in an attack in the first couple of kms to make him look like a chop, if he counters say you were kidding and call him an ass.

Ask the guy with the most expensive bike what he paid for it and then tell him you could have gotten it for half that.

If someone leaves their bike alone for 2 seconds, hop on it and do wheelies.

If you start to bonk tell them they're going to slow you're going to ride on your own.

When you get home remember to wash your 29er.

Peace out.