Burst tyre twice in 3 weeks

Seeker911

So being a creature of habit I go into my local LBS 8 weeks ago and do the unthinkable and buy 2 Specilialized Pro tyres for my roadie cost R800. This is a deviation from using Conti Gators. Not quite sure what entered my mind when I did this but I think it had something to do with wanting a little more traction for those wet summer days up here in the highveld.

The first blowout on the rear wheel took place about 2 weeks ago going down Krugersdorp hill at about 80km/h ... sounded like a gun going off followed much acrobatics etc trying to stay on the road. Then of course the very long wait for my wife to collect me. The second blowout, front wheel this time, took place yesterday afternoon on my approach to the climb up Krugersdorp hill, I do so love Krugerdorp hill, followed by a very long walk home. At 3pm in the afternoon my wife was busy with clients and could not fetch me.

So anyway went to local LBS, blowing much steam, and handed in my 2 Specialized pro's with gaping tears in them along the pattern in the tyre. Must be manufacturing defect as in 20+ years I have never seen this happen. Now I got to wait for the supplier to "INVESTIGATE" before I get my money back or get replacement tyres. Lets not forget the R40 each for 2 tubes, many hours wasted waiting for lift and that long walk home not too mention not getting in those much needed training hours which you simply cannot catch up. Oh yes and last but certainly not least the potential of loosing ones life or ending up in hospital in a rather serious condition. And they are going to make this up to me how ...... ?

So I suppose what I am trying to say is stick to your tried and tested winning combinations and when tempted to stray rom the straight and narrow think twice about the possible consequences ....

The first blowout on the rear wheel took place about 2 weeks ago going down Krugersdorp hill at about 80km/h ...

Oh yes and last but certainly not least the potential of loosing ones life or ending up in hospital in a rather serious condition.

That sucks, you were damn lucky you walked away from the downhill incident unscathed.

And it one of the main reasons I stick to my Conti's ~ Gatorskins for training, GP4000S for racing.

Never let me down, not once. (touch wood, yet)

here is what they will ask:

how close to the valve was the blow out? if it is directly over the valve, then the next question will be: have you ever inflated the tyre with a CO2 Bomb? If the answer is yes, then they tell you that tyre was compromised by the cold air.......

Blowout no where near the valve and no CO2 bombs ever used ... tyres inflated to 7.5 . Max pressure for the tyre is 8.5

eek.gif I've also got a new set of Specilialized Pro II's on my bike. First outing with them coming up this weekend. unsure.gif Inflated at 8. Edited by flymango

I had the same issue - multiple blowouts using Maxxis Detonators , since then went back to using Gatorskins , no issues , I even race in my gators , the few grams they are heavier doesn't make a difference to me , rather a little heavier and lose 1 minute on my race time if even so much, than lose 5 mintes trying to fix a tyre during a race ...

Specialized might make good bikes and maybe they should not lose that focus. As for the rest of their products they manufacture, you do have beter options at your disposal.

My 2c worth.

Interesting fact:

Spezialised's 1st products were tyres!

:blush:

Like A T wrote, Ultremos are the bomb if you wanna go serious with road tyres!

I use Ultremo DD - extra durable. No hassles.

[glad to hear you are still OK after all those blow-outs]