Tell me Dr. Hub

Bianchisti

I came off pretty hard in a group ride Friday morning. And donated some skin to the tarmac. Kept it clean anti-bacterial wash and antiseptic cream over the last 2 days. Just left it open but will bandage it up today. It seems to be healing nicely. Arm jus looks a little swollen and it feels like the skin is tightening up around the wounds so I'm trying to stretch it from time to time and that's my only discomfort.

It seems to be okay but should I be taking/doing something else.

Well I have connected a few times and my brother even more... I have seen that leaving a wound open does not work as nice ans as fast as putting a bandage over.

We would normally buy a big elastic bandage, it's like a 2nd skin. Put your anti septic cream on the wound and over goes the bandage. The bandage is big and very elastic, it moves with your body.

Normally it makes a small bag of juice (kind of sif) inside the bandage, that's when I know it's working. The nice thing about wet healing a wound is that you don't get any scabs and it does not leave as big a marl on the body as the dry wound healing way.

These bandages are a bit on the expensive side, but totally worth it! In the beginning you might want to use one bandage a day and later on you can start using a bandage say for two or three days. Depends on you. Hope you recover soon :thumbup:

Well I have connected a few times and my brother even more... I have seen that leaving a wound open does not work as nice ans as fast as putting a bandage over.

We would normally buy a big elastic bandage, it's like a 2nd skin. Put your anti septic cream on the wound and over goes the bandage. The bandage is big and very elastic, it moves with your body.

Normally it makes a small bag of juice (kind of sif) inside the bandage, that's when I know it's working. The nice thing about wet healing a wound is that you don't get any scabs and it does not leave as big a marl on the body as the dry wound healing way.

These bandages are a bit on the expensive side, but totally worth it! In the beginning you might want to use one bandage a day and later on you can start using a bandage say for two or three days. Depends on you. Hope you recover soon :thumbup:

What is the name of the bandage you use?

Had a nasty crash this am :thumbdown: at a race...

If it gets infected use merthiolate :thumbup: Its like 90% alcohol and 10% peri-peri sauce :rolleyes: It burns like hell (you will scream like a little girl) but it will dry the wound up very quickly and you wont get infection again. I used it in my hockey days when I had astro-burn all the time. Works like a bomb :thumbup: But I will say it again - It friggin HURTS :o

It works well for blisters too, I use a small insulin needle and draw the fluid out of the blister then inject a bit of merthiolate back in.

What is the name of the bandage you use?

Had a nasty crash this am :thumbdown: at a race...

Just go to the clinic and ask for a wound dressing that is flexible and it's SEE thou. I can't remember the name, sorry and good luck :thumbup:

Just go to the clinic and ask for a wound dressing that is flexible and it's SEE thou. I can't remember the name, sorry and good luck :thumbup:

Opsite Flexigrid??

I wiped out a couple of weeks back and took a lot of skin off. Used these dressings and within 3-4 days I was pretty much healed.

Definitely +1 on wet healing method.

When I was in casualties, after all the glorious scrubbing and morphine, that was all they used.

However they instructed I keep it on for longer, 3-5 days, before replacing.

It looks very disgusting, it creates a gel with the moisture from the wound but also keeps the gel separate from your skin inside the patch.

One big plus is the fact that its not nearly as sensitive when your clothes rub against it, especially when you have a big roasty on your hip bone.sad.gif

They come in all sizes and would definitely recommend them.thumbup1.gif

ohh, they put that on me after my Argus crash last year, okay, I know what you're talking about, thanks guys.

Debride with disinfectant & burn dressing like jelonet

Clicks sells jelonet dressings

Heals so much faster

Opsite Flexigrid or Tegaderm dressing is hands-down the best treatment. Clicks normally sell both types. Don't let the wound get dry, or you'll be in for a longer and more painful recovery. Clean and disinfect the wound area and put the dressing on. It also helps to shave off any hair around the wound so the dressing can stick better. You can cut the dressing shape to suit the wound and it allows complete flexibility, and also allows you to shower or bath as the dressing is waterproof. Leave it on a few days, even if it starts to smell and look dodgy.

Friar's balm (want dit brand die he'll uit jou uit) is also very good for cleaning wounds.

Just be careful i was allergic to iodene and my wounds never wanted to heal by using Friar's balm..... not a nice site :eek:

It works well for blisters too, I use a small insulin needle and draw the fluid out of the blister then inject a bit of merthiolate back in.

Okay, I have done that before and I think you are toning down how much it stings.....it's like someone sticking a red hot poker through your skin! F*&^ it’s sore.

Edited by Chubba

Opsite Flexigrid or Tegaderm dressing is hands-down the best treatment. Clicks normally sell both types. Don't let the wound get dry, or you'll be in for a longer and more painful recovery. Clean and disinfect the wound area and put the dressing on. It also helps to shave off any hair around the wound so the dressing can stick better. You can cut the dressing shape to suit the wound and it allows complete flexibility, and also allows you to shower or bath as the dressing is waterproof. Leave it on a few days, even if it starts to smell and look dodgy.

Thanks for the info. I'm just not sure now- at what intervals should i replace a dressing. Someone said 3-5 days, other 3-4 days. How do i know when to remove the dressings altogether? I have tried this method post-op once, but it seemed to take ages, so i went the dry method. I probably should have used less bactroban or something.

Cooles! :thumbup:

Hi,

Tegaderm is best. It is like a second skin. Always keep it covered as mentioned earlier in the thread. Keep it covered for at least 7 days.

See the article below for best road rash treatment. And you won't find duoderm here (replace with tegaderm). If you do it is over R1000

http://velonews.competitor.com/2003/05/coaches-panel/ask-the-doctor-with-dawn-richardson_3909

Edited by capeofstorms