Build or buy?

Glencoco

Hey all,

I recently started MTBing with an old bike I found in our wendyhouse, so I took it to the MTN cycle park to see if I could use it long-term. The brakes are terrible and aren't mounted like most other bikes so I if I want to get new brakes that actually work past 20km/h I would need to replace the fork, and to add to that the cassette is also a little worn and the chain slipped off recently while going downhill.

That would mean a new cassette and probably a new shifter and derailleur. All this adds up to spending a lot of money on a bike that's probably made in the '70's and was given to my father so costed nothing.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a new bike?

Edited by Glencoco

Short answer: Yes, buy a new bike, but look for a good 2nd-hand deal in the classifieds. Your old piece of machinery is not worth spending money on.

Short answer: Yes, buy a new bike, but look for a good 2nd-hand deal in the classifieds. Your old piece of machinery is not worth spending money on.

Wow, that was quick. Thanks Martin :thumbup:

+1 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ditto!

I'd also go for buy, at the price some of the second hand bikes are going for, you can pick up a decent bike for next to nothing, in a very good condition.

Buy.

To give you an example.

I recently bought a (new bike old model) 2010 model Felt Elite plasti.. no sorry carbon hardtail.

Gruppo was a 9 speed full SLX. Even the hubs. With Mavic 317 rims, Reba fork and tubeless ready tires. The price tag was R14400. Now let me see how you build up a new 11 kg. bike like that.

Fork R3300 (CWC)

Wheels? That set would cost around R2300 from CRC.

Tires +-R800

Gruppo +- R4000

Bar, stem, post R900 if you go Ritchie Comp level.

A new saddle? At least R550

Unbranded frame from thehubsa at R5900. Not painted. (? head set incl?)

Tubes, spacers, cables, grips R400 if you go for easy on the pocket stuff.

And all kinds of other thingies.

And then you still have to build it up. More than R18000.

The best option is to look for a good used bike.