29er hardtail stage-racing

JGdp

hi guys, i'm STILL looking for a 29er for the epic, asked 100's of questions and read everything possible on the topic.

Hopefully for some new/fresh insight after the pioneer could help...

Im doing the epic next year, going 29er-no doubt, but cant decide on HT or DS for the race..many guys say after 6 days on HT your body is finished and the DS would be a lot better etc etc...but i want to RACE it, and the other side of the groups say the DS would be heavier/sluggish compared to the HT(sub 10kg HT)... Need all the input of guys that has done many miles on 29er HT and DS, maybe a few okes that has done stage races of them please..

inbox/pm/post email..any feedback will be great thanks..

really sorry for another 29er topic.. i know alot of people are tired of it, my bad :P

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did van Gaalens on a big wheel HT on Sat and I can still feel my back is a bit stiff.

That being said - it was my first ride on the HT in about a year and a half and van Gaalens isnt known as a easy ride for a reason. I will also say that it wasn`t as hard on the ass and body as I expected it to be - big volume tyres helped here. I think it was more of a case of not being use to the bike. It hurt more form the downhill than anything else.

I think it really depends on your body`s ability to take the shots - the stronger the core - the better.

Personal choice - day 3 is going to be long!!!!!!If your body can recuperate fast you should be fine - in theory!

Best of luck!

My boet did Epic this year on a 29r HT he got 2 weeks before the race ...... he was fine!

Can i maybe talk 2 ur boet please?? would like to hear the details etc if possible??thanks

I did van Gaalens on a big wheel HT on Sat and I can still feel my back is a bit stiff.

That being said - it was my first ride on the HT in about a year and a half and van Gaalens isnt known as a easy ride for a reason. I will also say that it wasn`t as hard on the ass and body as I expected it to be - big volume tyres helped here. I think it was more of a case of not being use to the bike. It hurt more form the downhill than anything else.

I think it really depends on your body`s ability to take the shots - the stronger the core - the better.

Personal choice - day 3 is going to be long!!!!!!If your body can recuperate fast you should be fine - in theory!

Best of luck!

lucky for me if never really done much Dual-suspension riding, always return to my 26 HT after a while on the DS...

I did on a DS 29er, but was not racing :) And did J2C - easy to get up the next day.

A HT is a HT, regardless of wheel size. You can make the HT softer by going bigger volume tyres, but then you have a weight penalty (and you hope there is no mud) anyway, so you may as well go DS.

The race is more technical than previously, but it is not that technical, there are still long stretches of jeep track or dirt roads. Maybe look at one of the lighter DS's, then you have the best of both worlds?

Hi H

Lyk my die manne is net so deur mekaar soos jy oor die ht vs ds!

Jy is mos 'n harde knapie... Doen die HT ding!

Jou partner is stokoud...gee maar vir hom die DS voorreg en voordeel!

Cheerts

PT

I did on a DS 29er, but was not racing :) And did J2C - easy to get up the next day.

A HT is a HT, regardless of wheel size. You can make the HT softer by going bigger volume tyres, but then you have a weight penalty (and you hope there is no mud) anyway, so you may as well go DS.

The race is more technical than previously, but it is not that technical, there are still long stretches of jeep track or dirt roads. Maybe look at one of the lighter DS's, then you have the best of both worlds?

bought a 10.3 kg DS 29er last week, on theHub, the ad stated full xx..got the bike, there was XT and XO components- Epic Fail, so sent the bike back and got my money that same night... so i am leaning towards DS, but to get a light DS 29er is very expensive compared to HT....thats if you buy new

Hi H

Lyk my die manne is net so deur mekaar soos jy oor die ht vs ds!

Jy is mos 'n harde knapie... Doen die HT ding!

Jou partner is stokoud...gee maar vir hom die DS voorreg en voordeel!

Cheerts

PT

Nee nee, my partner maak my meer deurmekaar as die mense op TheHub......what a man :D

Sorry if this is a hi-jack, but would all the responses here apply to Attakwas as well ?

Whilst it is only a one day race, would a 26DS be a better bet than a 29HT given the terrain and distance involved ?

Sorry if this is a hi-jack, but would all the responses here apply to Attakwas as well ?

Whilst it is only a one day race, would a 26DS be a better bet than a 29HT given the terrain and distance involved ?

all good eddy, my partner (PPT) did the attekwas on DS last year and he is doing it on a HT in 2012, maybe ask him what his thoughts are, i know the attekwas is a monster..

Attakwas on a HT is fine. First half is a bit bouncy, but the second half is quite bum friendly.

My suggestion for Epic - get a bike that will last. Same goes for components. Unless of course if you are sponsored and have a mechanic rebuilding your bike each night. If you are - then go for the lightest DS 29 you can find.

Attakwas on a HT is fine. First half is a bit bouncy, but the second half is quite bum friendly.

My suggestion for Epic - get a bike that will last. Same goes for components. Unless of course if you are sponsored and have a mechanic rebuilding your bike each night. If you are - then go for the lightest DS 29 you can find.

But the attekwas is ONE day, what about the 7 other days on the epic..that's the part where I'm not sure on HT or DS

But the attekwas is ONE day, what about the 7 other days on the epic..that's the part where I'm not sure on HT or DS

My 2cents. If you going to do it on a DS - I recommend doing it on a Spez bike with a brain in the rear shock. This might be biast and yes I LOVE Spez, but i happen to know that the brain works so well that when you riding a gravel road, the suspension is completely locked out and when you go over obstacles, it works. So what this means is that you are effectively riding a ht when you are riding smooth and have a ds when you need it.

It is a very expensive bike and service intervals are quite frequent. If you are going to race it like you say, you might as well do it properly.

Do yourself a favour, go to the bike shops that stock them and take one for a ride, Just be aware that you might want it after.

I personally ride a 29er stumpjumper ht and its great over long rides, light and i dont have an issue with no rear suspension.

This is my opinion

My 2cents. If you going to do it on a DS - I recommend doing it on a Spez bike with a brain in the rear shock. This might be biast and yes I LOVE Spez, but i happen to know that the brain works so well that when you riding a gravel road, the suspension is completely locked out and when you go over obstacles, it works. So what this means is that you are effectively riding a ht when you are riding smooth and have a ds when you need it.

It is a very expensive bike and service intervals are quite frequent. If you are going to race it like you say, you might as well do it properly.

Do yourself a favour, go to the bike shops that stock them and take one for a ride, Just be aware that you might want it after.

I personally ride a 29er stumpjumper ht and its great over long rides, light and i dont have an issue with no rear suspension.

This is my opinion

Would LOVE a spez bike- but its about twice what I'm willing to pay unfortunately, that's also a big reason why a good HT is more my choice!! Would probably get a really nice HT for the price of an "okay" DS..

You don't need any suspension for Atta.