29er hardtail stage-racing

JGdp

I got a few pairs of giordana shorts, love them, carbon seat, so had to invest in the bum-protection too!! After all the inputs, I must say I'm leaning very heavily towards 29er HT, I'm 21, weight 74/75kg's, and a lot of the replies were about age and weoght...

What? 21 and you even consider FS? My partner in 2010 did it on a 26" hardtail. She is thirty something.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What? 21 and you even consider FS? My partner in 2010 did it on a 26" hardtail. She is thirty something.

only considered it because everyone suggested it... :unsure:

only considered it because everyone suggested it... :unsure:

You will read many hero responses and many arguments and many people advocating what they believe.

All I can say, if you aint gonna be in the top 30 perhaps 50, you might as well be comfortable.

Good luck on your quest.

You will read many hero responses and many arguments and many people advocating what they believe.

All I can say, if you aint gonna be in the top 30 perhaps 50, you might as well be comfortable.

Good luck on your quest.

Good answer.

I rode the Thomas River race last Saturday. After about 2hrs of racing I found myself riding along with 2 guys on 29'er FS's (an Epic and a Spark I think). Whenever we hit bumpy flat or downhill they dropped me with ease (on a 26" hardtail). They seemed to be able to keep peddling whilst I was bouncing all over just hanging on to my bike, really wasting energy trying to drive forward. It's the first time I've so directly experienced that side of the FS advantage. I eventually caught them again only when we got onto smoother climbs. My conclusion HT vs FS: it's really course dependant, if you can afford both....

Agree with Stockcarracer - I trainedon a 26HT, and going down rough paths, you are using your legs as bracers, so they are getting tired and you are not pedling. The bought a 29FS and I could keep up much better with my partner - this is where the bike is faster and more comfortable. You pay a penalty in the climbs for weight, but if the climb is rough, then I find that the FS has more grip and you have more control. I generally found that I was less tired with the FS than the HT and probably faster, but this is from a middle/back tourer. If you are younger and lighter, then this may not apply. A proper FS is more expensive, so get a demo bike and ride for a weekend - you need to do at least 2 days, and then compare that to the same route with a HT, then make a call. If you have budget constraints, this will confirm if this investment is needed. At least then you know. The problem with the people on the hub is that everyone is differnet - (I can't imagine being 1.91 and only 65kg :-) )

Im 44 and weighs in at a hefty 90kg. 1.83 tall. so by no means skinny :)

this ht vs fs is all hype.

look at the guys riding ht steel bikes singe speed.

That is what it is all about. i have a ds 26er but am getting a 29ht to toughen up again.

ive been getting slack and soft over the last couple of years...

so toughen up and ride.

Stop giving the bike the blame if someone passes you on a ride.

I have passed many ht 29ers and 26ers on my ds.

I have also been passed by many 29ers and 26ers on my ds....

its not about the bike.

if you train hard, you can ride anything....

Get a 29er dually with Fox Float RP23. Then you have a hardtail for the smooth and ups, and a dually for the rough and downs.

Nope, then it was someone else hey!!

Hi JGdp

That was my cargo pant, and if you can like to ride, get a lightweight No-name cheap chinese frame and build a very light and very cost effective rigid SS.

Dangle and I are both 41 and Fred is a few yrs older all doing very well on SS and and really enjoying the simplicity ( plus low maintenance).

Recovery is the main challenge and , if you are fit, and young there should be no problem.

people will think its hardcore, but it is really easier than it looks.

PS( wife's username)

D Vader

Edited by Leah

Hi JGdp

That was my cargo pant, and if you can like to ride, get a lightweight No-name cheap chinese frame and build a very light and very cost effective rigid SS.

Dangle and I are both 41 and Fred is a few yrs older all doing very well on SS and and really enjoying the simplicity ( plus low maintenance).

Recovery is the main challenge and , if you are fit, and young there should be no problem.

people will think its hardcore, but it is really easier than it looks.

PS( wife's username)

D Vader

Was about to say- NO woman on an SS passed me-hahaha!!

You'd be glad to know, I'm building a 26 ht SS from my old parts-really looking forward to riding it over the holiday(which I have a solid 3 months of :-)...will let you know how it goes, byt I'm not going rigid, have an older front shock I'm putting on!! Thanks for the reply

Here is your first clue - Burry and Christoph won on DS 29'ers last year.

Here is your second clue - Kevin and David got spiffy new DS 29'ers a week before pioneer and totally ripped the field apart with it. Their focus is the Epic as well. Kevin's dad is the route planner. Does 1 + 1 = 2 or does 1 + 1 = 2DS 29'ers?

Hope this helps.

Here is your first clue - Burry and Christoph won on DS 29'ers last year.

Here is your second clue - Kevin and David got spiffy new DS 29'ers a week before pioneer and totally ripped the field apart with it. Their focus is the Epic as well. Kevin's dad is the route planner. Does 1 + 1 = 2 or does 1 + 1 = 2DS 29'ers?

Hope this helps.

Keen eye for detail.. Nice thing to pick up hey!! Thanks- its just pretty expensive to get 29er ds, I thought I could get a proper one, but its crazy where the prices go when you look for X0 or even X9/XT groupset!!

@OP. How fat and lazy are you? Racers can do Epic style races on a hardtail. Softcocks use dual suspension. I don't think wheel size makes a difference.

@OP. How fat and lazy are you? Racers can do Epic style races on a hardtail. Softcocks use dual suspension. I don't think wheel size makes a difference.

Tough,young and fit--just very new to long MTB races and even newer to multi-stages!! Just wanna make sure...its not about if my body can take it, ill survive that!! Just want everyones own opinion on the 2 bikes, cause its a lot of money and want to buy the best bike possible!!

Tough,young and fit--just very new to long MTB races and even newer to multi-stages!! Just wanna make sure...its not about if my body can take it, ill survive that!! Just want everyones own opinion on the 2 bikes, cause its a lot of money and want to buy the best bike possible!!

Well, then it appears a HT is your weapon. Try a 26 and a 29 and see what works for you. The key to any stage race is how well your body recovers. This is true of the TDF down to the Vet's 2 day. The bike is, sorry to say, not the point, and wont make a difference.

Hopefully it makes SOME difference-haha!! I'm doing all my training on 26 ht, and attekwas(+ 5days training afterwards) so will be conditioned for the saddle at least!! The rest is in the head and legs- but I'm going 29ht 99% at this stage..