RAVE: Du Toitskloof Pass and Franschhoek Pass

ROCKITRIDEIT

With perfect weather conditions forecast and as part of our DC training, my team and I cycled 180km yesterday from Paarl to Worcester via the Du Toitskloof Pass, down through Villersdorp and then over the Franschhoek pass into Franschhoek then back onto Paarl.

As we mostly all live in Town or Southern Suburbs we tend to conveniently stick to the well-ridden route along the Atlantic coast and the Peninsula, but we agreed to get out to some quieter roads and explore, what was for us, unchartered territory.

So it was an early departure for a 6am roll-out yesterday from the Paarl Mall, but the lack of sleep was soon forgotten as we began to climb the Old Paarl Rd.

If the climb up to 820m to the top of du Toitskloof pass wasn't awesome enough then the descent the other side down into and through the valley floor simply blew me away. :clap: Breathtaking views, sweeping bends, speeds of 80kph, and the tunnel section at the end of the descent finishes it off nicely.

It was the absolute highlight of the ride for me!

I think I would have enjoyed the Franschhoek Pass more if I hadn't bonked halfway up, and just trying to focus on staying upright on the descent! Nothing that wasn't soon put right with a coffee stop in Franschhoek and a BLT with chips!

Nevertheless I can't wait to get back out on those roads again, hardly any traffic (apart from the N1 stretch of course) and spectacular countryside :D

and to think that I live right there..... it is awesome riding terrain hey?! That Franschoek pass from the back is very underestimated - it just goes and goes, and when you think you are done, it goes even further....

Next you guys should try the 4 passes - s/west, over sir lowry's, left through Grabouw / Elgin, over Vlijoen's pass, then over the theewaterskloof dam bridge, left and over Franschoek pass, and then over Helshoogte pass and back to s/west.

BTW, what is the total ascent of the route you did, touristvisa?

820 for du Toits Kloof + Franschoekpass from Villiersdorp side = ?

BTW, what is the total ascent of the route you did, touristvisa?

820 for du Toits Kloof + Franschoekpass from Villiersdorp side = ?

I'll see if I can find out for you from one of the other guys, I only ride with a Cateye Strada for distance/time

I'll see if I can find out for you from one of the other guys, I only ride with a Cateye Strada for distance/time

Don't worry...

Someone else, either Tank or Tiny K, will supply these stats as soon as they see my question.

:P

and to think that I live right there..... it is awesome riding terrain hey?! That Franschoek pass from the back is very underestimated - it just goes and goes, and when you think you are done, it goes even further....

Next you guys should try the 4 passes - s/west, over sir lowry's, left through Grabouw / Elgin, over Vlijoen's pass, then over the theewaterskloof dam bridge, left and over Franschoek pass, and then over Helshoogte pass and back to s/west.

I hear you Tiny K, all good training for the Tradouw pass in the DC!

With regards to the 4 passes ride, what's the deal with Sir Lowrys? Is it hectic at all? Is it best to ascend from S/West or descend into S/west?

I hear you Tiny K, all good training for the Tradouw pass in the DC!

With regards to the 4 passes ride, what's the deal with Sir Lowrys? Is it hectic at all? Is it best to ascend from S/West or descend into S/west?

Well it is a long climb... see profile below. 130Km, 1940m ascent. Ascend from S/West side.

post-14551-0-59820000-1320658219.jpg

Edit:

Peak 1 - sir lowry

Peak 2 - viljoens

Peak 3 - franschoek

Peak 4 - helshoogte

Edited by Tiny K

Well it is a long climb... see profile below. 130Km, 1940m ascent. Ascend from S/West side.

Edit:

Peak 1 - sir lowry

Peak 2 - viljoens

Peak 3 - franschoek

Peak 4 - helshoogte

sorry i meant traffic-wise? didn't make myself clear....(the climbing doesn't bother me)

Don't worry...

Someone else, either Tank or Tiny K, will supply these stats as soon as they see my question.

:P

1944m of climbing in total over the 180km apparently

Edit:

Peak 1 - sir lowry

Peak 2 - viljoens

Peak 3 - franschoek

Peak 4 - helshoogte

Thanx, TIny K.

Pack your peanut butter sandwiches for THAT route...

As one member of our team said after the descent down Du Toits - "Probably the best hour of road riding I've ever done." :)

And don't forget that unexpected climb up and over into Villiersdorp. Not the biggest climb, but when you've been hammering along mentally preparing for the Franshhoek Pass climb, and then suddenly you hit a mountain. Not ideal! Must read route map next time...

Even better - here is a link of the route (with all my stats)

Click view details, top right right of page - click view in metric. There you have it.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/115386336

Edited by Tiny K

sorry i meant traffic-wise? didn't make myself clear....(the climbing doesn't bother me)

Traffic wise is OK I guess - once you head off towards Grabouw, the roads are very much quieter. We headed via the old village to miss most of the traffic towards the bottom of the pass.

There is enough of a yellow line along the road to be safely off the driving line of the road.